Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Last week we did this... at LF's place. Wrapped up the presents to be given to all the mothers in church..
Mother's Day
These porcelain jars with covers are quite useful for soups. I'm putting mine at work. It's great for making my half boiled egg. Yummy!

And very aptly, we had this for tea...
Lorpo peng
Wife Cake... direct translation. LOL! All the way from Ipoh! Biscuit was really thin but quite nice, though. It has this sweet filling. There're a few stories as to why...
In ancient China, there was a poor couple. They adored and loved each other, staying in a small village. When a mysterious disease spread, the husband's father became very sick. Although they tried really hard to raise money to provide treatment for him, it wasn't enough. Sadly, the wife decided to sell herself as a slave, exchanging herself for her father-in-law's medicine.

Once the husband learned about what his wife did, he made a cake filled with winter melon and with a crispy crust. A cake for his wife. However, his cake became so popular that he was able to earn enough money to buy his wife back.
There's another one in which the husband got himself into debts and sold his wife into slavery. Guilt laden, he made the biscuit in her memory... Can Google it...
Mother's Day2
Anyway, this is the end product. Many hands make light work. The youths distributed one to each lady over 21 in church. Mother's Day is also MW night. Speaker for the night was May Chin from FGC... one of the rare lady speakers to grace the pulpit at WMC so far.

No fanfare for me this Mother's Day. In fact I cooked dinner some more. When I came back, my gal had 2 cards for me. Very typical of her... thoughtful! One she made on her own, the other her teachers asked the students to make. When I was schooling, there was no such thing... Mother's Day was just not something we 'celebrated'. I guess times have changed, at least on the outside. But on the inside, I'm not sure. Mothers.... the pillars to who we are. Just that very often many of us take them for granted.

2 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Hapi belated Mother's Day, Random Shots. I love 2 try one of your cut up bear shaped sandwiches. The trouble you have taken to do it makes me give u "The Mother Day's Award" for Kota Setar. LOL

AJ7 said...

Coming from you.. I accept lah.. Ha! Ha! Thanks!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...