Monday, January 11, 2010

English Lesson, anyone?

Kim is a twelve year old boy. Rahim is 14 years old. He is taller than Kim. Ravi is sixteen years old. He is taller than Rahim.
  1. Who is the oldest among the three boys?
  2. Who is taller, Ravi or Kim?
  3. Who is the shortest of the three boys?

So is this a tough passage? Which age group of our students do you think should be given this sort of exercise?

Well, I just gave this to my 16 year olds.... and I'm about to start a hair pulling session cos out of the whole class of Form 4s, only one could answer the 6 questions I put up. So, is it no wonder that we have to scrap the teaching of Maths and Science in English? After 9 years in school, there is hardly anything English skills for them to muster.

And that means I now have to dig into Std One material for this particular class.

This is the standard of our English now... the shame is these are Form 4 students we are talking about. Our 3M, our literasi, numerasi and what have you not... and this is still our product.

6 comments:

daboss said...

kakaka... our country's level of england really improving, huh? :)

PreciousPearl said...

soli i no spikka ingris. wan plas wan is 11. Petronas is a tall kompani. Not tame pig is a short buffalo. malasia bulih!

Dino said...

Actually, its good for kids whom can speak English. Less competition means more opportunity for those with the skill.

AJ7 said...

LOL! Your comments tickled me so! Me now feeling like me teaching primary kids in big bodies. No longer I rely on my 'training' to teach teenagers.. me going back to the basics gleaned from teaching me own kids

Thomas C B Chua said...

Teacher AJ 7, pray that you adjust fast to harsh reality after one month plus of " rest-rest, eat wind, play-play,.. .and I hope you are in the well."

Do what you can."An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox."

"When we do more than we are paid to do, eventually we will be pad more for what we do." (Zig Ziglar)
Similarly, "Folks who never do any more than they get paid never get paid for anymore than they do." (Elbert Hubbard)

Pretty confusing, eh? Think about it. Good teachers are too few and too far apart these days.

Anonymous said...

I think we give these kinds of questions to Yr 3 or 4 pupils in my school.

Wonderland

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...