Friday, October 16, 2009

Whores...

In the old days, whores basically meant just that! Whores! Now like everything that is so fluid, it has undergone its own changes also.

First we had camwhoring... I think typically any word that has a suffix of whore sounds so derogatory. But these days it is used without so much of an eyelid bat! Camwhoring basically means taking pics of yourself or your friends excessively. To people like me who lived between two worlds of cameras - roll film cameras and digital ones, this cam whoring thing gives an immediate negative impression. But not so to the young ones. They think it is complimentary to call themselves camwhores... sometimes even cool!

And recently I just learned of shoe whoring... a person who owns excessive pairs of shoes. And oh yes.. there're also attention whore, corporate whore, media whore... A whole wide new world of whores has opened up. Do you think they sound cool? In the old world of whores, we had whoremongers, whoreson, he-whore. And none of them sounded any good back then either. This new gen of whores supposed to be better? Or is this another compromise....

So whatever it is, the term whore is negative... it still leaves behind an impression of someone who flouts cleavage, puckered lips and oh yes... sporting the peace sign. A cam whore is after all also known as a cam slut. Now how positive can that be.. a whore is bad enough. So we are into promoting a 'slutty' lifestyle? Whatever happened to the good and clean lifestyle? *scratch head*

This is one word which behaves more like a chameleon, slowly seeping into our minds, gaining acceptance. If in a butterfly pupa, a metamorphosis takes place and something more beautiful comes out, to me, this feels like an attempt to make-it-sound-right behaviours which are narcissistic, vainglorious, swollen and morally loose. What does it sound like to you?? A camwhore?

8 comments:

daboss said...

this is small matter la... sex on tv, magazies, blah blah blah is a much worse matter... not that i am complaining... kakakaka...

Sia Mooi said...

wah..that's quite informative. I din know that it's used this way now. agree wid you...how can anything with that tag to it sound good?

PreciousPearl said...

ahahaha! at least three in our 3-person family are guilty of shoe whoring! LOL

monay said...

On the same note, I am beginnning to be very tired of news. I used and am still reading CNN and Star but noticed (how could I be so blind before) that most news are bad news and about evil things... Very few good news and heroic people make headlines. I guess you have to look for that elsewhere.... Reading the news makes me tired, disgusted, afraid, cynical, suspicious etc.....There is so much in the media that influences us and it's hard to go against the flow. Remember Pretty Woman? I remember watching that movie at the theater. Nowadays, I would not take my kids near it. At that time, going to the movies was just fun and didn't think to even check what the movie was about. The song was so catchy.... But doesn't it glorifying whoring? And supposedly being a whore, suddenly the pretty woman, gets offended when another man wants to take advantage of her... I believe there is the "Marketing of Evil" the art and science of making evil look good. By the way that is the title of a book. No, I haven't read it yet...For now, our TV is unplugged, we are unsubscribed to LA Times and I try to be careful about movies/books/computer.... And yes, cam *** that's not a word I'd used :). Now to find other portals of news.... do u know any?

AJ7 said...

daboss... ever heard of numbing effect? Numb the mind. Then there's Pavlov's theory... conditioning. Either way, compromise is struck. That's how things are - but then again, everyone says it's biasa oso. Our kids get numbed by so many things now...
monay.... whoa! I must have touched a chord here... never 'hear' you say so much. LOL! I agree with you.. there are way too little good things now. The world is swinging to the dark side more and more.
PP... shoe whoring! Til you get to Imelda's level. LOL!

Thomas C B Chua said...

Monay, know what? CNN = Certainly Not News !!!

monay said...

Thomas, you are right. I have just deleted star and cnn from my favorites and added owlhaven.net
(I stumbled onto her blog... She has 10 kids from 3 continents, cooks, writes... amazing!) Google news (is this a good chioce???) and random shots (finally, I've always gone the round about way from acs forum...) to my favorites.

AJ7 said...

Monay... I am honoured... *take bow*. Took a look at owlhaven - awesome lady! Google news is more like aggregated news. More balanced.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...