Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fish Tank...aquascaping, anyone??

My 7-year-old gal just posted in her blog about her aquarium. Come next month it would a year old....and in the last (almost) one year, I have learnt quite a bit about this hobby. I have always been into rearing fish...when my brothers and I were kids, we had aquariums and fish tanks at home. We even dreamt of converting our little compound outside the house into a mini pond, to which my mom vehemently protested. Never 'jadi' of course. So, I thought I'd introduce it to my kids, since we enjoyed it so much.

When I got the tank last year, my frame of mind was still in the old mindset. Aquarium=fish + some deco. That's about it. Maklumlah...I have been living in a small 'city'....so not much exposure.

Did some surfing to look for ideas...and was pleasantly brought to stuff like aquascaping (this is an entry for 2007 AGA Aquascaping Contest which I like).... aquariums can be really beautiful with the real stuff, not the plastics. Was so enamoured with the idea that both daughter and mother would scout all the pet shops for plants.

The aquarium has gone through a few cycles...at one time, all the plants almost became extinct. Didn't know that water plants can be quite sensitive...they can actually melt. And when there is not enough CO2, they also die. Learnt that they have all these gadgets for serious buffs, stuffs like CO2 dispenser and all kinds of liquids that you can put inside to enhance your plants as well as your fish.

It's nice to just look at the fish and plants. Helps one to relax. And the best part is, me and my gal have something fun to do together! And that beats everything!!!

3 comments:

Hooi Ling said...

really nice to watch them.agree,agree,agree!thanks for getting me started with it.

Anonymous said...

great! did u know aquarium fish have 5 second memories? each time round the tank's a new experience.....!!!
(and if anyone wants to know, I made it up LOL)

AJ7 said...

you almost got me there.....and i was wondering how you knew...lol!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...