Sunday, April 20, 2008

Taking a day off (a sabbatical) from technology…can you do it?

Ever realized how pervasive technology has become in our lives? Well, you could be a tech geek or internet addict or mobile phone thumber or all three. Compare this to the technologies of the 20th century like tv and radio, the latter still had room for some human contacts. While the 21st century technology has allowed connectivity at levels unseen and unfelt, it has also caused many of us to disengage from the real world.

I'd probably fit into the bill of a tech geek and an internet addict to an extent. I am one of the many who feel very restless when I don’t get online even for just a day. But for the past week, with the line down at work, despite the twitchy withdrawal symptoms, I was actually able to focus on my task at hand better. I took more pains to ensure that end product was of better quality and when I learnt something new, I didn’t rush through like I usually would….cos I would be thinking where I could go next on the internet, you see.

I think it would be good if we could take time off from technology. Take time to engage with the real world. Instead of logging on to see the latest offering on You Tube and then be numbed by it…do something meaningful with people, in the real sense, not in the virtual world. Things are a bit more impersonal online......you are veiled by the anonymity of a web user. Same thing goes for the mobile phone thumbers. Instead of becoming a slave to every call and sms that come in, take time to stay focus on the people or task at hand.

I think many of us use technology without realizing that it sometimes brings about negative effects on our lives, relationships, health and jobs. With so many reasons to go online or thumb sms(es), we often suffer from memory blackouts because of the overwhelming influx or maybe overload of information. Maybe if we sometimes make ourselves go for a sabbatical from the realm of technology, it’ll open up more quality life. My two sen……

3 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

i got 2 tins with string in between. does that count? :D

AJ7 said...

can count meh?? Thought that one archaic technology....takes too long just to string it up... 8)

PreciousPearl said...

just stringin' u along.... ROFL

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...