Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Motorbike Ride....

Entrusted under our care, John's faithful bike. Mol had done it up and asked us to use it. So, after a really long hiatus from motorbike rides, we got ourselves a new set of helmets. This was Daughter's first real motorbike ride. And I took her to the paddy field. There's a web of bund roads in the paddy fields. Each road exits the paddy field to different parts of the town.
Paddy Field2
Our little adventure took us right to Anak Bukit. My curiousity got the better of me and I followed the road. It took us right to the back of the new government complexes in Anak Bukit. And right beside this little kampung road, we saw a proliferation of food stalls. The complex is churning the economy in this sleepy village. And probably in time to come, the surrounding area would probably be swallowed up by development... another pocket of rural Alor Setar gone.... 8(
Paddy Field5
On our way back, this botak tree caught my attention and drew me towards it. And I thought I was on the right road back. I happily rode on... while making sure Daughter was hanging on since she's still a newbie at bike rides. When you are in the middle of a vast paddy field, everything looks the same.
Paddy Field4
It was only after I came to this that I realized I had gone on the wrong road. See the orange poles on the right? There are flood lights. And there was a long row of them. It took me a while to realize that I was at the far end of the airport. On the left of the picture is the control tower. I promptly did a U-turn and went back to the end of the road. Took another 5 minutes to get back to the fork.
Paddy Field3
A short while later we saw this.. the lights had come on. A flight was coming in. I only had my camera phone with me... so the pics aren't that nice.
Paddy Field1
Daughter enjoyed the ride tremendously even though she was hanging on for dear life as I was trying to get her home on time for her tuition. I figured we covered almost 25 km. This is the rustic and idyllic Alor Setar that I like very much; and to which I'm very at home. The charm of agricultural landscape coupled with the 'away-ness' from the city....

A motorbike can take you to places where cars can't go. And on it too, you can explore the little lanes and be taken away from the busyness that makes us forget the simple ways of life. Sometimes to have such a feeling stirred is kinda nice.....

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...