Friday, July 17, 2009

Viet Cafe.. New Cafe in Town

Photobucket
This is the latest cafe in town.. Viet Cafe. It's been opened only a week. It's located in the compound of the car dealership, Asas Auto. Cook is a friend's brother. That's how I got to know about it. Didn't notice it earlier even though I pass the place everyday cos this place has 'housed' a few eatery, the last being a Malay food joint. One tends to be blind to such things...
Photobucket
This is the traditional Vietnamese Roll, with its transparent skin. Siah said this one requires one to acquire the taste for it. But I think it's okay. The sauce goes well with it. You have to look out for it cos it's a little unobtrusive. Parking is a little complicated as the compound is rather small. But you can park at the adjacent empty lot. And if that is full, you can always park further down the road. 8)
Photobucket
This is rice with stir fried beef. I like anything with beef. But this particular dish is quite appetizing because the rice is also lightly fried in egg and probably garlic. Gives it that nice smell. This is Siah's order and she says the rice is good enough to eat by itself.
Photobucket
Huan's order... Thai Fried Rice. We could smell the food as soon as the plate landed on the table. Also nice but it's not something I would order since I wanted something different. I ta-pau one of the same back for Son. A little info about the cook. He's worked before in a hotel and also for a couple of years in a Vietnamese restaurant overseas. His food is quite pleasing on the palate.
Photobucket
Another version of Vietnamese Spring Rolls... this one is deep fried. All 3 of us like this. I also ta-pau one back and Other Half sapu all finish. Overall, I think the food here is not too bad. It's different cos it's probably the first Vietnamese restaurant. I am always looking out for something new... so this new place fits the bill quite nicely for me.
Photobucket
Last but not least of the orders... gu-bak kway teow! I'm a sucker for beef soup kway-teow. When I heard that the Cafe serves that, I immediately made up m mind to pay it a visit. The soup is rather light... beef smell is not strong. But I supposed that also helps in making the food quite light on the stomach. 8)

I'm happy that Alor Setar is getting another restaurant serving food other than just the usual. I'd definitely be going back to try their Vietnamese coffee... saw one other patron ordering it and I thought it looked rather quaint, waiting for the coffee to drip slowly into the glass below.

2 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

...and again I salivate. WHERE is THE EXACT location? Tell me!!! We use 2 do Vietnamese in KL. There is one B I G one at Taipan, KL. The beef noodles smells like a cow n that's good. I love the cruncy ligaments. Even the chilly sauce is Vietnamese. Will be making a beeline there once we r back from our tour.

AJ7 said...

Opposite Old Town on Jln Kanchut... just down the road after ASRC. You've to look a little harder.. 8) U r on tour? Have a good time..

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...