Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lesson For Today...

I wonder if this will be a lesson I'll try to remember and avoid but for whatever reason, this is definitely something that reminds me that it pays to be inefficient, to be laid back.....

After having been given a class to handle... and after completing everything in the register and most of the admin stuff, I am now told that I've to take another class. It's no real big deal actually, this thing. But still, I think it's not right though it's not something I'd lose sleep over.

This goes to show the 'wishy-washiness' of the way things are done. Plans are made without much thought and when they run into a problem, they'd take the easiest way out rather than look longer and harder for a solution that doesn't dishearten. I don't really know why I am ranting and raving now...except a perceived injustice because of somebody's (or bodies) incompetence!

And even though I feel (bear in mind this is only perception) that the fair deal of duties level has been breached this year, I've told myself to let it be. Handling SPM is headache enough without having to deal with class matters. There will come a point in time where the threshold is broken and I supposed then, I'll probably just say my mind....which I think will happen quite soon at the rate things are going.

....I realize that those who sound out their unhappiness over their perceived overload of work tend to get less work at the end of the day. We always prefer to take the path of least resistance. At work, it has also become the norm. Go for those who resist less and work gets done. The heads have all learnt that too. In the end, those poor sods become the victim of their own silence. I supposed I'm one of those sods. 8(

And these poor sods are usually the ones who are more conscientious too. It's such a sad state that our system has evolved into, made worse because heads are not doing what they are supposed to do. Hence, the Little Napoleans are having a field day and we continue to rot.

Two weeks.... I may have spoken too soon. The fires are being stoked... a real test of patience.... how long more will my resolve last????

7 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

As a fellow teacher, I cannot agree more with you. I completed 32 yrs with only 5 days of MCs ( don't beat this record. It was stupid of me. No citation, too, on my retirement.)because by God's grace the sickness came during the holidays and on days when I was a little off colour I still went to school and did some written work with the students. However, I was punished with relief periods from those who habitually fell sick before and after the weekends. No compassion.

As an administrator, I never failed ( in the fullest sense of the word) to reach school before 6.50 am, only to take phone calls that sounded like : "Cikgu lewat sikit hari ini, anak/ibu/bapa/emak/kaka/abang/Tok Ki etc etc sakit or the more irritating one is traffic jams. I passed by the same road, earlier of course, and there was no jam.

Sometimes u feel like rotting together with the rest but God forbids. We r accountable 2 another boss!
TCCB

AJ7 said...

yup..thanks for the reminder. We do answer to a higher authority. But don't many of them too.. the theological flavour is all there but at best they remain just flavours... no lasting impact! And we continue to rot.

Anonymous said...

the system promotes laggards.. if only you work a little slower.. :)

AJ7 said...

ya-lor...must work a little slower, be a little 'duh', better come across as dunno.... After all, this Bolehland, Bodohland..dunnowhatlandsomemore, where doing things the panjang-panjang, lama-lama, cantik-cantik, lapor-lapor ways are the order of the day. So depressing!!

Nah! I shan't succumb yet... LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hoi,
Have you heard of "pukura" approach? Our system promotes pura-pura and kura-kura work ethics. Interestingly, if one is able to learn and adopt this work culture, one will find having less responsiblities. In my opinion this 'culture' will probably stay remain as long as there is this lopsided of numbers from different 'coloured' employees in the system.

AJ7 said...

ROFL!!! ...pukura...why not kurapu? If I get to that stage, I think it'll be time to call it quits. $$$ earned also not halal -lah! Not that I'm all that perfect but I try-lah.... sometimes fall, mah try pick ownself up, sometimes I'm blessed enough to have friends poke me a bit to remind... the plod (and plot) continues lor! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

unfortunately it's not just Bolehland. I've found that in every single job I've been in, those who are any good at all often get overloaded to breaking point just so's they can "cover" those who are less capable.
So AJ7, what's happening to you sounds like a compliment which is unfortunately a double-edged sword.......

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...