Thursday, January 29, 2009

Random Shots.... Sitiawan CNY 2009

Even though I grew up here, the roads are just not that familiar any more. There are so many new roads and turnings.... the town has grown! And we do get lost these days!
Photobucket
Anyway, these are shots from around the town... familiar places of old, some already given a makeover! This is one of those small kampung roads which leads to one of Dinding River tributaries. Still has a nice kampung feel! 8)
Photobucket
Kg Sitiawan.. I wanted to see the mangrove swamp. Have not been there for years. Took us a while to get there cos the road from Simpang Ampat is no longer there.....I think. In the end I remembered seeing the name on the big entrance on the road to Ayer Tawar... The place has not lost its rustic charm. Couldn't find the rickety bridge we used to cycle on, though.... Probably long gone already. But the water is still clear! So nice to see clear river water for a change! There are many chalets where one can stay overnight and fish.
Photobucket
This is the Sitiawan of old that I remember! The village feel and look! 8) This is a vegetable farm in Kg Sitiawan...think it was a 'kuchai' farm. Either that or spring onions! 8)
Photobucket
Church... because of the different weekends we seldom get a chance to attend Sunday service in CTA1. This new church came up about 10 years ago. Met up with some friends whom we've not seen for many years this time around. The church has always been a meeting point with some old friends over the years!
Photobucket
This was the old church premise which we used to worship in. I used to cycle from my house for Sunday worship every morning together with my sister and friends sometimes. Service started at 8 a.m. So, it meant leaving home at least half an hour earlier cos the it was quite far from home. Most of us were very glad when we got our motorbike license cos it meant arriving at church not so sweaty and extra few minutes of sleep.

And after church we'd end up either in Wisma Ganda for breakfast or our other favourite makan haunts with our friends. Though it's not as comfortable as the new premise, this was the place which holds fond memories for me. It's also the place where Other Half and I said our vows. 8)
Photobucket
Pasir Panjang... its ADUN is the current Perak MB, Mohd Nizal Jamaludin. The Deputy MB, Ngeh Koo Ham is the ADUN for Sitiawan. He can be considered another one of ACS' famous sons. 8) This is one of my favourite places because it's near my home. Mom and dad used to come here to buy fish straight from the boats. I used to cycle here with my friends... and also came on my own when I had my motorbike license.... Sitiawan was very safe back then! The tranquility of the place provided a haven to reflect and think. Teenage years was a time of adjustments and new awareness and one had to learn to make sense and accept the new responsibilities that came with growing up... It can get a little complicated for the marginal person. 8)
Photobucket
Red Chinese lanterns hanging around town. They lent a festive air to the ongoing CNY celebrations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post... good stuff... thanks for the photos! :)

not only the town has grown, we've also grown older... :) now all my kids are considered city kids... dunno if they can survive in a place like sitiawan...

Anonymous said...

wei, sendiri punya kampong oso can go sesat mer......
it's good dat u still can met up with yr old old friends
i oso wen back 2 my home town kuqlo pillis but din met any old old friends...

AJ7 said...

Anonymous... shows that my kampung is growing mah! LOL!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...