Saturday, January 3, 2009

Before school even starts....

My way of destressing..... LOL!!! These are some odds and ends even before school starts... and why I sometimes think we do things mindlessly... the week that was has reminded me the excesses that we are so used to. I've had to...
  1. sit through a 5 hour 'meeting' and walk away feeling that it was a totally wasted morning (and afternoon). We're in a profession of 'talk-too-much' over 'listen too little'; 'appearance' over 'substance'....
  2. go back to school for 3 consecutive days before school reopens for tasks that can be done in one day. I supposed that shows we're doing work...
  3. be told that they have a right to call us back for 2 Saturdays every month...other departments don't get that. Yeah, sure everyone is going to say we have longer hols.....come and teach the juve(s)....you'll need the long break..
  4. sign a circular stating that we will not lift a finger against our students...from the way the circular is worded, we can't even punish them.... So if we do, we'll have to face the music, media, etc., etc ourselves... Use talk...... I'm all for using psychology.... if the kids will listen. Try teaching really insolent kids and one will get what I mean. One size fits all approach. Wonder why they jail criminals? Might as well counsel them and let them decide for themselves. Anyway, it's hands off... the best policy now, I guess, is let the students decide for themselves....
  5. and this (to be implemented).... extra classes the first thing in the morning before resuming normal lessons...something to that extent. They're taking the best time of the day for extra classes and leaving the worst time of the day for actual teaching!!! This has got to be the most (I dunno what to say of it). Am trying very hard to see the sense in it.....very!!!!
  6. and today (it's a Saturday)...to go back to school register the old students, listen to the same old mantra and hang curtains. One has to excuse me for feeling that this perhaps is a sheer waste of time. Surely the MOE would've incorporated extra schooling days for such things if they felt it necessary. And my students think the same way too... a waste of time going to school today...
And school has not even started.... don't get me wrong, but sometimes things like these never cease to amaze me; our love for doing things to show that we are really different..... sigh!!! It's been only a few short days.... oh well! I should still make the best of things.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...