Tuesday, November 10, 2009

More on FaceBook

Earlier I wrote about the farming craze.... but if farming is not your cup of tea, you can always try to start a digital zoo full of exotic animals. LOL! One late night, I asked a friend how come she was still up and you know the answer?? Clearing her FB farm cos she was going to be away for 2 days... worried that the digital produce will go spoilt. The make-believe world has entered the real world. Most of the time we believe it to be harmless but I am also mindful of the Columbine shooting.

Then there's this netizen from Taiwan who is attempting to sue FB for making him pay for services he bought for his farm (on an apps called Happy Farm)... you know what he bought? Guard dogs! For his digital farm! You pay real money for non-tangible things! Why did he buy those digital dogs and then sue?

Lately I notice that there are more notifications I'm receiving on FB. I find them irritating as it clutters up my desktop with unnecessary info. FB, for me is a good way to know what's going on with my friends or have a round of good discussion on issues. Or even know what the young people are thinking. I find it a good way to keep contact. Sometimes the first signs of future trouble (and also good news) also presents itself on FB.

On FB people announce all kinds of stuff. I think for most part they're okay. Recently I told a friend happily that her uni going daughter had listed herself as being in a relationship. At uni level, that should be good news, so I thought. Guess what? She went private on her FB and my guess is I got 'booted' out for telling her mom. LOL! I'm taking this in good humour cos I now realize that there is this selective audience target thingy going on.

Now I know that was not meant for her parents' knowledge but only for her friends to note. Most parents are okay with their kids being in a relationship at college level, I imagine. That's supposed to be the normal progression. That's unless her parents have laid down strict no-no(s). Anyway, her dad thinks it's about time. Anyway too, if information is not meant for all to know, then better not announce on FB. Aiyo!

I notice too many posting pictures of themselves in all kinds of activities. It's fine to share good moments with friends. But I think many fail to take note the need to be careful about what is posted, especially the young people. Someday, when the sober years hit, you are going to wonder why you posted those pics of yourself. But then again, I always feel that if good sense refuses to prevail, then nothing like learning it the hard way.

I've had a fun time with some of the young people on FB. There was one night we chalked up 50+ posts on a single thread. Poor gal had so many notifications on her threads. While at it, joined another young friend I know in her tagging game... It was kinda funny. FB actually enabled me to fool around a bit... let me remain in touch with some of the people who come into my life.

But bear in mind also it is now very possible to build a dossier on one based on their FB activities.

FB can be a good tool.. but like everything else we must be responsible with it.

6 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

and that is why it is safer to restrict one's info on FB to friends only...?

AJ7 said...

it is already set... juz that sometimes people announce stuff then realize that they actually want to announce to a targeted group... they confuse me! LOL!

prorogue said...

its not "wanting to announce to targeted group".. some matters are best left for personal discussions with close ones.. secondly, we should double check on what we see b4 taking our next action.. thirdly, THATS Y I HATE TAKING PICTS!!!!! haha
lastly, stop taking mine..:P

AJ7 said...

Prorogue: If you put something on public domain then it's public. If it's not meant to be, then don't put.
Pics are about social events, memories... not just one person.
And double checking... food for thought. Next time, before we say anything about anyone, must double check, before we get angry, must double check, before we curse double check and see whether it will damage our parents' good name, etc, etc...

Johann said...

Sometimes you can never tell with these things. My fren recently removed his 'single' status and it came out "XY is no longer single" and ppl mistook him to being 'in a relationship'. My, the flurry of comments that came out of that. He got rather annoyed. He told me, omg, i just removed the status, and now everyone thinks i'm attached.

AJ7 said...

Agree with you johann... still your friend chose to reveal. Hence, he'll just have to accept the consequences of his revelation be it comments cos he acted. Every action has an equal or opposite reaction. What's happening is we seem not to want to assume responsibilities for our actions. Learn from them... they're valuable lessons.

A friend left his FB logged on and his computer on. His friend mischievously put in something and soon he was getting lots of comments. Well, should he just quit FB because of that or learn not to leave his FB logged on the next time. His carelessness of leaving his computer on allowed the reaction you see. At some point, we have to take responsibility for our action... the question is what kind of reaction you choose?

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...