Sunday, November 1, 2009

One more for the memory box...

This is another memory for my memory box... 8)
Photobucket
Played 3 games in one weekend - and came out tops in all 3! I don't think I'll equal this ever. Too many variables have to fall in the right places... look at how brown we've all become. LOL! It's going to take months to lose that 'browness'... if you look at the shadow line in the pic below, that's how crazy we were - played in the 11.00++ a.m. sun!
Photobucket

Played some of my best volleyball in recent years... and it felt good knowing that I can still improve. Teamwork is something I truly enjoy in volleyball. It's not possible to win on one person's skills only... we need to work together, etc. I used to be the player they'd cover. Three years ago, the chances of me sending the ball where I want it to go would be based more on chance than skill. Today, it's the other way round. In part because my team mates were willing to accommodate me and also because I was determined. I had friends who patiently did the digging with me through the years.... until I can hold my own game. This year, their patience finally paid off... 8) And it's been many years....

Life is like that.. every inch of progress that we carve for ourselves, it's got to come from us first... ask and it will be given you, seek and you will find, knock and it will be open unto you... that's from Matthew 7:7. Notice, at every step of the way, we've got to act. Ask, seek, knock - they're all verbs; action words. A verb is one of the basic building blocks in a sentence.... In life, we need to be proactive; ask, seek, knock for guidance, truth, possibilities, etc, etc.... for those values that become the basic building blocks in our lives.

Photobucket
We had fun stuffing ourselves full too with good food. This was at PJ 5 Utara in Jitra. The kaeng som (sweet, sour, spicy) fish is absolutely good so everyone says. My personal favourite is the fried tanghoon with medium sized prawns. Their coconut jelly is very good also.

Oh ya! I was siao enough to play 2 games in the PSKPPK - badminton being the other. But the scheduling was kind. Though my first game is badminton, somehow life's lessons from volleyball has made the game more meaningful. Those moments we share on the court - they are priceless! How you depend on others and they on you and you just have to learn to trust each other's instinct; not blame each other for a spike into the net or a ball sent out... you just plod on together, encouraging and supporting each other. Sama-sama menang and kalah oso! That's what we get when we have a group of like-minded people together. I truly appreciate that. Life is kinda like that too, huh?

Then Mr. Wong (I think that's his name) called me up a couple of days ago to remind me of the squash tournament at the Club. Since he was so nice to remind me and rearranged my time, I said okay. So, after a short shopping trip out with Shin Hui, I went home, took my 40 winks and was off again. There were only 3 participants in the ladies' section! And I won! LOL! I played with one of the men though, and at least I won't be the worst player in the men's pool either.

So, 3 games, 3 winners' medals.... really one for the memory box. And I am a few shades darker. But probably the most priceless are the bridges of friendship that we built and got strengthened.... cos year in and year out, I'd see new and familiar faces from different teams from the different districts. Old familiarity gets reacquainted again... kinda nice! Foes in the court, friends outside.....

6 comments:

mc26 said...

Yape, now u r our main six player. Yr serves is our team's most powerful weapon to win all de game ! :P

PreciousPearl said...

congratulations! i letih on your behalf...... lol

Sia Mooi said...

amazing...u still look like u were 16 n I believe u r active like that time too. Don't u feel age catching up and ur system slowing down. M experiencing lots of slowing down n unwanted changes since i crossed over the 40 mark.

AJ7 said...

PP... yeah, I feel letih too but somehow because it was so fun, can ter-forget the letihness. LOL!

SM.. terima kasih. I feel like am bloating up ade. Ha! Ha! Age catching up? Sure-lah. The eye sight starting to miss those words close up instead of the far ones. But I enjoy pushing myself to my limit - see how far I can still keep going or the new skills that I can still pick up. Aging is inevitable and we do slow down but we should also keep trying to pick up new stuff. I think staying fit is very important to keep us 'happy' in a way. And it makes us friends too, keeps us busy etc, etc... I keep a siao schedule but I find it fun. You should try to take up an activity. I think I am more active now than when I was in my 20s.

BTW, 2 of my teammates in the pic are past their 50s. That's how I hope I'll be when I get to their age... still can hit a few balls, run and jump...8)

All things beautiful said...

Congrats... wish i have half your energy! LOL!!!

monay said...

WOW WEE AMelia you are AMazing... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now where are my ping pong paddles....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...