Tuesday, November 17, 2009

SPM 2009

.... the awaited day for years, so one young man I know said. I guess it's quite true for many. Freedom awaits! A whole new life, even a new world may await... or maybe the same world. But whatever it is, it is another step forward, forced or willingly.

My boy will be sitting for his also this year. My hope? Of course like any parent, I hope he will do well, score as many A(s) as possible. He'd probably want that also.

But I guess what's most probably more important is this... that he wants to do his best. Doing well and trying to do his best I feel are two different things. To do well these days is slightly easier than before. They've lots of reference books to help them, lots of last minute cramming sessions they can attend at various tuition centres and of course buy all those tips going around now. Not forgetting the pushing from all quarters that seem unrelenting. I hear too there are some tips costing up to RM600 that one can buy! And there seem not to be a lack of buyers. Alleged 'soalan bocor' is always sought after. Everyone wants that 'A'.

To try to do his best.. that comes from himself, the drive comes internally and not externally. In wanting that, he'll himself, make time to study and work to remedy his weaknesses, etc.... at the end of it, he'll walk away from it probably with more treasures like being resolute, disciplined, organized, matured, etc, etc.... Cos I guess for me the crux of the matter will be whether he can live a life that is pleasing to God..... and we need all those 'treasures' to help us along.

So, SPM here they come... almost 500 000 of them this time around! And my life for the next couple of weeks will also be tied to this exam.... in more than one ways; mother, driver, teacher......

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...