Sunday, November 8, 2009

Makan-Makan @ 5 Utara in Jitra

This restaurant basically serves Thai food and they're quite good. They used to be located next to Lye Huat Stone Garden but relocated to Jitra town some years back.
jitra,thai food,5 Utara
Now it's located right at the junction of the main traffic light in town.

I occasionally go there for makan with friends and sometimes Other Half if we are in the vicinity. What is nice here. Well, the kaeng som for one. Had that with my volleyball (and badminton) friends the other day.

I was there again last Thursday... for lunch. It was a spur on the moment decision. So after school me and my 2 friends went there. It was already way past 2 when we arrived but there was still a small crowd there. Goes to show that there not that many restaurants in Jitra.
tanghoon,prawns
I had been thinking about the 'claypot' tanghoon with prawns since our makan the other day. The claypot is actually a metal pot. Anyway, the prawns were big and fresh enough. There were more than enough for the 3 of us.
ikan keli,phat pet
We also had the phat pet catfish (ikan keli) with long beans. This dish is rather spicy but appetizing. With hot rice, it's quite nice. The catfish was fried to crispiness before being stir fried in phat pet style.
spinach,kangkung,batter fried
And this.. kangkung (spinach) coated with batter flour deep fried. It's kinda like tempura style but not as light cos they can't seem to shake off the oiliness. But it's nice as finger food; to dip in the chilli or tomato sauce.

You can have coconut fresh from the fruit and also coconut jelly (as in jelly in the coconut fruit) for desert here. All 3 of us had both. I was greedier... I had a whole coconut jelly all to myself.

Two straight days of binging... the day before I took Son, Daughter and Jovaynne out for Japanese food cos I wanted to eat oysters!

One thing though... saw some Pegawai Penguatkuasa Jitra at the shop. They must be going after the proprietor for the awning extended behind the shop. But I always wonder why these Pegawai Penguatkuasa who seems so efficient in certain places never go after those stalls erected haphazardly in many of the housing areas in Jitra. They don't seem to be consistent in carrying out their enforcement.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...