Friday, August 28, 2009

Another Place for Beef Kway Teow

This is another place we stumbled upon on our Friday morning breakfast...
Photobucket
The stall is at Yu Yi. It's located along Jalan Putra, next to Sentosa Hotel. Nancy and I were quite excited when we were discovered that there was a gu-bak kway teow th'ng stall. There aren't many places offering this fare in Alor Setar. This is the third place I know of; after Xantana (not sure whether they are still selling it) and Viet Cafe.
Photobucket
I had actually ordered something else but because I wanted to try, I got Nancy to agree to share a bowl.
Photobucket
From the looks of it, it was actually quite inviting. But after tasting, we found the meat and all the other stuff to be too soft.... from being boiled too long. So, there was not much real chewing to be done.

Yu Yi has quite a few other stalls operating. There was the 'tju-char', wan-tan mee which is nicer if you pack home... something about letting the mee simmer in the gravy and being softened first, chicken rice and apom, I think.

The 'tju-char' also serves lunch at reasonable prices. We sometimes go there for lunch. Price is reasonable and the food not too bad.

4 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, u bet me n better half will be there 2morrow without fail. Tks. Btw the BEST I have ever had was at stall at Jln Petaling, KL. Funny thing is that, the chilly sauce makes the beef o la la....

AJ7 said...

You are a gu bak kway teow th'ng fan, huh??? Glad to be of service! 8)

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, we went, ordered n tasted. I had a large one, RM8.00, as usual. Stall & seller = clean. The concrete tables at the place put me off a bit. Meat n entrails = good variety but too small pieces to delight the chewing and munching. It does not come with "Gu Bak e" (Beef balls) Soup = fine. Garnishing = limited. Chilly sauce = plain n tasteless. Quantity = too small. SCORE : C+ by my standard.

AJ7 said...

A large one immediately?? Boy! You must really like gu bak th'ng. LOL! A C+ only? Your taste is more sophisticated than mine... 8)

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...