Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tuitions and the rat race..

I've just been told by my gal's tuition teacher that my gal knows nothing... her exact words. May I add 'in Chinese and BM'. And because of that she has been caned. My two kids struggle with these two languages though my elder one started picking up BM okay in secondary school. In fact he found BM manageable enough.

My gal knows a lot actually... she can tell me that a lime in the fridge will remove bad smell. She reads Little Women and finds it enjoyable that she reads it repeatedly. She asks questions out of the blue like.. what is the kidney for? She loves Enid Blyton books and reads quite voraciously. She is willing to try new things and finds joy in learning even the many things I take for granted. She loves to swim and also squeals with laughter when she thinks she is better than her papa in squash... The problem, all of these things are in English.

In the other 'Chinese' world, she is lost. She's in a Chinese school. In this world, she 'knows' very little. Hence, her life becomes regimented by the tuitions. Learning takes on a new dimension... the rote kind. The kind where kids are sandpapered according to the mill specifications. They are varnished with the same kind of varnish, all bumps and telling marks are removed.... eventually their individuality and creativity will be stripped to the minimum. If she does not rebel, she might become good at regurgitating out whatever is expected... she might even do well. However that's still some way off. She, however will be imbued with traits like hardworking, stamina from long and arduous tuitions.

There is a high probability that she will end up like a product housed in common packages with plain paper wrappings. Her creativity, individuality and originality will mostly be covered by the wrappings. The demands of our society now..... we produced them in the specs we feel the market demands.

Yet when we look at old furniture... it's not those uniformed and beautifully sandpapered and varnished furniture that are priceless. The priceless ones are usually those who have the grains of their original wood showing through or those which followed the contour of the wood... those furniture that has been shaped with the type and shape of wood in mind.

We agonize over what is good for her and 'needful'......

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunty says, "go for other teacher." I always believe when we are not happy with the service, as a consumer we have other better choices found elsewhere. This small-minded 'teacher' practically knows very little when real education is concern. She might not want her so-called reputation being tarnished. They are tons of them in our schools.

PreciousPearl said...

waaaa.... if a teacher caned my daughter, (s)he can expect some extreme retribution, including police report and complaints to social security/ Dept for Education & Schools.

why torture poor Princess Rainbow? Maybe a different school or different tuition teacher would help? my 2p for today

daboss said...

all my kids also banana kids... and i send them to bao bei reading wonderland about 1 year before they go to std 1. it does them wonders... my son picked up mandarin 100% from bao bei... in fact he was there for less than 6 months...

monay said...

home educate then..... :) You know and love her best. And it will be like vacation all year long....No waking up early going to school... education is all day long after both of you wake up, or even better they read/do the workbooks themselves and you check it later, or on line. Why do we need grades if they get it? And what do they mean anyway? ....Ethan:Yes!...Yet, it is so hard and difficult choice, post sec, what kind of university for her? Overseas? I would think even local private should accept SAT..But time goes and does not come back.... must check this bao bei reading wonderland... :)

monay said...

And that teacher obviously "knows nothing" about your daughter.
Do check out Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education. I have been educated at my in-service on Monday. "Why use the term home-school? We don't want to bring school home... but another different way of education." A pioneering ABC (american born chinese) have taught me a different definition.

Dino said...

Proud banana here.

Sia Mooi said...

Take heart...we're in the same boat. My gal hated school, was caned so many times because she was in the excellent class and not allowed to make a certain num of mistakes. She has become timid and we spend so much time building up her confidence only to be torn by the tchrs within minutes. Though she is an excellent ss now; she keeps thinking that she is not good enough and we keep telling her she is the best (she doesn't think so..how sad).
The son is blessed not to be in the excellent class...pressure is lesser. I let him be as long as he doesn't fail any subjects.
Knowledge-wise....both are definitely more knowledgable compared to many chinese school kids I teach. The things they read..we give them room to explore, search, ask....so both of you are doing the right thing...tell the tuition teacher not to cane; she will learn eventually at the right time. Caning will only clam her up and make her unable to grasp as much as she should.
That was what I told Dan's tchr, told her if u cane my son; he won't be able to learn anything because he will b too frighten to learn.

How I struggled and hated the chinese education system but I must say it has given both my kids the advantage of an extra language.

You know ur child, stand by her and encourage her. For every negative action against her; double/triple it up with positive words/actions and assure her over and over that she is most wonderful, loved ....child.

Tuition tchr is optional....can think of a change. School tchr...different...have to bear with them.

PP: You better thank God ur cavegirl don't have to go through this torture. It's common in most chinese medium schools.

AJ7 said...

Wah! So many comments... I am checking out bao bei... but they don't have that here. My gal reads but is a bit slow when it comes to Chinese. I 'home school' her in English and those lessons she seems to enjoy very much. I've another kid (opposite of her) and she's finding my class hard. Language punya pasal. Add that to the fact that we're reverting to BM as the medium of instruction, kids are going to be real confused. I am getting confused too... So this year, this ma is sitting with her gal every day and guess what's our best friend now??? The talking Chinese dictionary! Thank God for that! My Chinese is improving again after a one year hiatus but I don't know how long I can keep it up cos it's really tiring. Anyway, I'm off for a long weekend... to destress! 8)

PreciousPearl said...

Amelia - well done and keep at it. Our kids will need all the positivity & support they can get. One-on-one coaching with you will also help u to bond together. Enjoy your weekend :)

SM: there are other kinds of school torture not limited to caning... the private school cavebaby was at was quite good, but the village school she is in now is providing a very well rounded education as well as quite challenging school work for her age group. guess it's amazing what competitive/ pushy/ kiasu parents can achieve for their kids :p

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at amelia7.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from this blog post above if I give a backlink back to your website?

Thanks,
Jack

AJ7 said...

Jack... shouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at amelia7.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at amelia7.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from this post above if I provide a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Peter

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am certainly happy to discover this. great job!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...