Sunday, January 23, 2011

Prawns and Teenagers....

What do you think they have in common???
I thought this was funny. Me and Daughter bought these prawns and kept them in a holding container... so that they don't end up in the big fishes' stomachs. We put them in the pond so that they won't die... better water conditions for them. But try as we did to keep them in, they did their best to get out...

Which brings me to teenagers... try as we do to keep them safe, sensible.. they'll want to get out... cos they think it's nice out there... And they'll do all sorts to get out there too...

Beyond the net is open pond space... where big fish prowl. A few of the prawns managed to get out... You'd think they'd be giddy with the sudden feel of freedom but just a few seconds in the wide open space, they begin to scramble into the nooks and corners. Small prawns in big fish world... not safe!!!! LOL! Then the funny thing is they started to cling to the netting of the container from the 'outside' pulak.... and didn't put up much resistance when I used my hand to catch them and put back into the holding container...

And during the night, my netting slipped half-way and many of the prawns were released into the pond... and guess what? I found more than 10 of them in various conditions on the floor the next morning. Scared and shocked by the enormity and danger that lurk, many of them jumped out... some to a certain death, while a few whom I managed to rescue found a second lease of life.... which brings me back to the recent spate of suicides the last couple of months that we've been reading in the news. Sometimes, our kids are not ready.... and they go into the world... some survive, some give up... some 'take the easy way' out...

Sometimes it might be wiser to just keep our kids around a slightly while longer and prep them for what's to come... it's still not a sure thing but it sure beats some of the options that they might take later just because they're ill equipped to handle the stress and harm that come their way.

Having gone through the rebelliousness of one teen, I can see the similarity between the prawns and my teen!

2 comments:

Dino said...

I knew this posting "has prawns behind the rock" theme to it.

AJ7 said...

LOL! I wasn't thinking about that!!! But apt! Ha! Ha!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...