Friday, February 26, 2010

Enter the Teacher's Uniform Again...

Was asked yesterday by a colleague to buy cloth for the teacher's uniform. I just made one last year and spent almost RM100 for it. And we're asked yet again to make another one!

I mind being asked to make. It's money which I think is ill-afforded. Clothes is not something I spend lavishly on. The money is better utilized on gadgets and my children's education fund. After all, it's not that easy for my kids to get into the government aided institutions or secure a scholarship.

And no where does the General Orders say the teaching fraternity has to wear uniforms. Yet such kinds of things are imposed on us, kinda like the retirement and farewell thing that we had to go through recently. For not complying sometimes we have to bear the brunt of 'persecution' which comes in various forms. That's how the system is... it's not about whether you conduct your core duties, it's about complying to such kinds of buttering up, looking good, etc, etc....

On the same note, I notice a spate of camps going on for my students. The crazy thing is 3/4 of the class would be away for camps on a school day, while the remaining 1/4 will be in class. It's a good excuse to give free time to the remaining students. So, when kids say they have nothing to do at school, very often it actually is true.

6 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

as usual...they don't know wat is more important...studies or camps?

it's funny how come when material is bought in bulk it still cost so much? Somebody is earning big time from all this. Tailoring is not cheap also....

SATHEESHVARAN said...

I have a lot to say here.Last year I somehow ended up being "elected" onto the PIBG of boys school. Mind you the committee was aghast, I was reluctant, the only reason I attended was bcos I wanted to propose a website etc and the Pengetua suggested that I should do so at the meeting. I suppose by taking to stage I put myself in the limelight and one parent pushed for my nomination. The school is 97%M and 3%nons. We collect RM160K a year - and the bulk of the money is spent on the items you have written about. Now I'm the only odd person in the committee - all the other members have been there for a few years and somehow it is possible to still coexist peacefully - there is a lot more. This school is probably one of the most luxurious in Malaysia

Unknown said...

Am I in the dark ages? Is there such a thing as teacher's uniform? I can understand a school badge but what purpose does the teacher's uniform serve?

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, variety is not the spice of life more.I for one would object to be uniformed as a teacher. I prefer my own comfortable designs and cuts. Looks like the "pengetua" has too much to implement.

Sia Mooi said...

tchrs hv to wear lots of 'uniformed' outfits nowadays. We have 'baju korporat', t-shirt sekolah, batik uniforms, blazer wid the school badge. M most sore bout d blazer. It has the school crest; so no way I can wear it elsewhere. Have it for more than two years already; wore it only once for a photo session wid some indonesian visitors. Don't even rmbr to bring it when I went for courses!!

AJ7 said...

We are perceived to be in the modern age... but we've regressed. This uniform thing has been around for so many years. I get worked up whenever this thing uniform thing comes up cos I think these days we pay way too much attention on looking good; as such most things are for show more than anything. The teaching profession is a pale shadow of my teachers' generation.

But it heartens me to have you people comment here. At least I know there are people who still feel that we should focus on the important things.... Thanks everyone! 8)

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...