Monday, February 15, 2010

The Kitchen Readings...

Year of the Tiger is finally in. Had a tiring time. Will talk about that later. This was written a couple of days ago. I finished this book this last Wednesday.

This is again something different from my usual diet of reading.... just realize that my books are more diverse now. For the better, I hope. Anyway, this is by Michael Cleverly and Bob Braudis. Learned something new... gonzo journalism. Never heard of this till I read this book.

The whole book centers around Hunter S. Thompson, basically the guy who pioneered the gonzo style of journalism. This book is a narrative, done by his buddies who were also his neighbours to remember him in their way.

Like many geniuses, he led a tortured life. Somehow you get the impression that substance abuse was how he induced those remarkable work of his. Do geniuses find it difficult to live normally, hence their tortured existence? I am reminded of composers like Bach and Mozart and of those child prodigies who mess up big time where their personal lives are concerned. Or could it be the blowing away of their lives bring forth that stroke of genius. Is it so difficult to strike a balance?

The writer seems to romanticize the rampant use of firearms, dope and all kinds of silly stunts. At many points, I get the impression that Hunter is a guy who lived recklessly. He seemed dependent on his dope and alcohol, needed it. In the end, he took his own life after his health deteriorated.

So, 5th book.... and it's only February still! I've outdone myself! And believe me, a lot of the reading time is done during what I call my in-between time. Was at the gym for an hour plus the other day and it was almost a solid hour of reading while working on the treadmill and exercyle machine, stopping only at the weight machines. This actually beats badminton cos I can multitask. Reading doesn't really eat into my other time. And the Ipod makes it such a breeze. LOL!

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...