Sunday, May 9, 2010

Kelas Tambahan...

Extra classes... Very few schools don't do it. Schools try to outdo each other, show that each one is doing something to ensure that students do well.... that they care. Teachers don't have much say... it's a kind of paksa-rela thing.... force us to show pseudo-caring for free..... charity they say. But I am in no mood in such charity... And all these extra classes.... in the chase for the grades, along the way, a lot is compromised....

My thoughts.... I am tired by the the time I am done with my last class. I cannot wait to get out of the school. Cannot wait to hit the shower. With the weather moving from dry to extremely humid, my clothes stick to me like they are glued to me! I am hot, tired and bothered; shrouded by the stifling air, mummified in my clothes! And I smell of sweat! It's not like we work in an air-conditioned complex. After each class, I find my respite in the staff room which is air-conditioned. Without it, I think I'd have burned out much faster in this unforgiving humidity that we're in right now. Classrooms are actually not conducive these days. Curtains block the ventilation vents because they want it to feel like a rumah, with either tarred surfaces or clearings surrounding them. One can actually feel the heat emanating from the walls and grounds.

It's easy for the bosses to say macam-macam... These days HMs bark a lot of orders. They want a lot of things done but very often I wonder who it's for....

Extra classes... they are shoved down our throats! It's easy to tell the teachers do their bidding. I've just met a friend from another school where her Principal told them, she is autocratic. What she says goes! Period! We are constantly reminded that our core business is teaching. I see colleagues who 'kay-poh' here and there being awarded the APC. I see colleagues who make a show of everything they do getting it too. What I don't see is colleagues who quietly slog in their little corners, marking and preparing their lessons. These silent workers are the least likely to skip their classes. And they are the least rewarded too.. the work place today is for those who can show and tell. In part it also points to the inefficiency and inadequacies of the bosses who sit on their high thrones. Hard to find a level-headed boss.... or one who trusts her subordinates.

So if I start conducting extra classes, does that mean that I should take it easy during normal class?? ... to save energy so to say. After all, there is no no incentive for me to do more in class... extra classes are forced on us! Perhaps I should just sit back and relax. After all there are the extra classes to catch up later... BTW, they take students away for camps during school hours and students miss class. Camp on school day... then kelas tambahan. Go figure the sense in this!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds teruk! I think I would habe suffered a burn -out by now 'coz I'm lembih!! Seriously,good admin should trickle down and the teachers will be a happier lot.

Sia Mooi said...

it's a disease nationwide. Which school is without it?? By the way...there is a compulsory teachers' day do for my state where all tchrs are to gather on that night for a big thingy. Forced to celebrate! Then of course that gotong royong thingy come this saturday to celebrate our day too. For school level this year, we tchrs are performing for the ss instead of the ss performing for us. Haven't we been performing for them everyday?
How come u are not the Pengetua? Maybe u shld seriously think about it and make a difference.

BernardG said...

It is like a catastrophe! I am a student, and I don't mind attending this kelas tambahan. The only problem is that everyone makes a big deal out of it. The worst part is when I make a big deal, the teacher will say "kelas batal"... what!?

I completely agree with your last statement. Why make camps during P&P, I have a bad habit of skipping class because of these teachers making me go to do this and that!

AJ7 said...

SM: Yup! Nationwide disease. Where have all the sensible people gone? LOL! The students get dumbed down all the way... non-thinking people they become. You talking about teacher's day? It's equally crazy here. On the one day where perhaps students show a little appreciation, it's the teachers who have to give some more.... Give, give... squeeze and squeeze!

GauLion: What catastrophe? You are a rare breed.. liking kelas tambahan. LOL!

prorogue said...

a forced gotong-royong to kamceng teachers and students..haha..ridiculous! and, SAY NO TO EXTRA CLASS!!!!!!!!!

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7, Aiyo, if u really give your BEST during the teaching period, there is no need to "tambah-tambah lagi"!!!! The tragedy is some pupils unfortunately get lousy teachers, and the "tambahan" is the "tambahan" of more bad teaching! Poor kids!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...