Friday, July 6, 2012

Bossypants ...by Tina Fey

This book took forever to finish cos time was a bit on the scarce side. So I read only on the treadmill... which is a once (and sometimes twice) a week affair. I almost wanted to put it down cos I couldn't quite get what it was about but began to enjoy it as I progressed.

Am not sure whether it's an autobiography. Tina Fey is a comedienne. I asked Other Half whether he had seen 30 Rock and he said yes. I thought we usually watch the same stuff but I guess this must be what used to be his daily half an hour dose of sitcoms in those days when we still had ASTRO. I would sometimes be knocked out by then cos sitcoms used to come on at around 11.00 p.m.

She writes about her childhood, how she got a scar on her chin (I think). She's straightforward in her comments, seems quite down to earth in the way she talks about growing old minus all those repair jobs. Comedians have a way of putting things across. Sarcastic yet quite often the things that we want to say but can't quite get it out. Reading about how she describes herself, one might think that she's not so pretty. I googled her... She's actually quite a beautiful lady. And might I add, some recollections were hysterically funny, among them growing up with her gay friends...

Bossypants... Women today are bossypants. It's a nice feeling. Having a career is fun. It gives gratifications which is decidedly different. She writes about how thirty-five turned faster into forty than MacDonald's food turning into cold nonfood. It's true. That' s supposed to be the most exciting time in one's careers. You're probably just becoming really good at what you do. Promotions are just starting or have just come your way. There are more responsibilities.... unless it's our civil service cos if you are not of a certain race, you'll be most likely be remaining stagnant.... Anyway, time moves fast when you are busy....

And I supposed to that's why women are putting off having children later... but she there was this snippet which I found profound.... sort of.
Work won't drive you to get a mammogram and take you out after for soup. It's too much pressure on my one kid to expect her to shoulder all those duties alone. Also, what if she turns on me? I am pretty hard to like. I need a backup. And who will be my daughter's family when my husband and I are dead from stress-induced cankers? She must have a sibling.
And so at 41, she had a second daughter... I found out from Wiki.

This is not my usual kind of book but a good change. I won't say it's refreshing cos that part sort of only came in the end part, you know the sudden illumination kind of thing. Another reminder for me that if I persevere with books I sometimes feel are not so interesting reads, they still can have interesting outcomes and provide good input to me.

Took a while, this book number 15.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...