Friday, June 11, 2010

Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea ... by Chelsea Handler

This almost qualifies as a raunchy book... it's an easy read but one which I struggled to finish. The last 2 books have not been quite fun like the rest. Well, I shouldn't complain too much as the last 20 something books were good. Can't expect all the books I pick up to be to my taste.... unless I want to pick up some vodka and drown it all in. 8)

This qualifies as an adult non-fiction and there are more than generous doses of inappropriate language. F words abound... I am still rather uncomfortable with its usage. But I like the candid portrayal. It touches on a lot of things which we know are there but often times hide beneath our veneer of civility and also image.

There was one part where Chelsea was forced to attend a birthday party of someone she hardly knew and didn't like. She didn't want to spend money buying a gift. Hence the recycling of her gifts she received from others. Sounds familiar?

In it, she also candidly shares her DUI charge which landed her in a women's prison and her 'dysfunctional' family. Most of our families suffer one form of dysfunctionality or another. Only she puts it in a very straightforward manner. I found it hilarious her holiday adventure to the Bahamas with her dad after her mom passed away. Also, her obsession with nuggets or little people (midgets) as she labels them; and of how she 'allowed' herself to be conned by one just because she found her 'nugget' to be an object to satisfy her curiousity.

The book made it to the NYT Bestseller's list; the reason why I ended up reading it. The power of mass marketing with the right tool. 8( Anyway, I did some reading on the author. She is a well known comedian. Makes sense the candor of her language and non-straightjacket way of writing. A new genre coming in at book number 25.... my genres getting more diversified.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...