Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Weekend home..

Even though now home is where I have my own house in my current location... home in my heart in many sense is still the place of my childhood and teenage years, Sitiawan.

Made a quick trip home during the weekend and it was a weekend with a flurry of rushing and loose ends to see to. Also, sis and nephew were around plus nephews and niece from Other Half's side. So, there were many quickie things to do.
Sweet Sour Fish Maw
This was part of our lunch in Kg China... the fish and sea cucumbers in the ko-ru came all the way from Sabah. Mom had soaked the sea cucumber to perfection... and it went well with the fish maw... cooked in our favourite style, sweet sour; only in Sitiawan.
Sweet Sour Fish
Fish was very good - shipped all the way in a polystyrene box from across the South China Sea. Dad said they call it the 7-Star Garoupa. This is an 'East Malaysian' fish! We had my favourite mixed veg, Sitiawan-style also.
Traffic Lights
This traffic light was one of many which we passed along the way home. The problem with this one is it faces the setting sun. With the sun shining brightly, you can't tell which light is lighted up unless you stare at it intently to catch the slightest change.
Driving
Also a first for Son... his first highway drive. LOL! He just got his license a fortnight back. His dad sat beside. I was behind... but it was a tense 100km for both of us for sure. I found myself pressing on my imaginary brake.

Already passed the half way mark of the hols... dread to go back to school. World Cup is on. In our household, there is no football fever. Read that in Bangladesh, fans actually went on a rampage because the power supply went off! The craziness of football - 22 men chasing one small ball all over the field and trying to net it. And the whole world goes into a feverish and mad frenzy when the World Cup comes on just to see the 22-men do that.

We caught the opening match between South Africa and Mexico while we were home. But that was viewed in between channel surfing and house-switching. LOL!

4 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

hahaha...bad idea to have parents in d car. M sure he would be happier without u ppl around. hahaha...(u will have a chance to laugh at me too one day!!)

AJ7 said...

SM.. you may laugh your head off now... 8) But I assure you, when your Lyn starts driving, you'll be right where we are too! It's actually good idea to have parents in the car... the lessons they took prior to their driving test are hardly sufficient. We should have laws like in Australia where certain mandatory hours of driving accompanied by an experienced driver to make sure they really know how to drive defensively. The first few times of sitting beside him were heart stopping moments..... that much I can assure you. I must have put my own dad through those moments too.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean by the imaginary brake!! My hubby is better at staying calm and giving instructions.
Watched the opening match in Langkawi, was away for a short 3 day break. I'm not a football fan but get me to the screen, someone will get a heart attack!!!

PreciousPearl said...

wow! those koru & grouper dishes look scrumptious!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...