Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How much does it cost to get a driving license?

I didn't realize that the cost of driving license has become so exorbitantly high these days. Over the news recently, I heard that they are incorporating another new module which will further drive up the cost. But they say it'll produce better drivers. I wonder... cos our road fatalities statistics don't seem to be getting less....

Son just went through the whole rigmarole... and here's the breakdown.
  1. Kursus KPP and Ujian Komputer - RM129
  2. 6 hours of Theory and Practical - RM 230
  3. L - RM34
  4. Renewal of L (delayed his exam because of NS) - RM32
  5. 8 hours of driving - RM200
  6. Another 2 hours refresher's cos of NS - RM50
  7. QTI & JPJ Test - RM131
  8. Retake of JPJ Test (he flunked his bukit) - RM63
  9. P Stickers (new drivers must be labeled) - RM5
  10. License - RM35
A grand total of RM909 to get his license... that can be a month's salary or more for many average Malaysians. I am told that it's even more expensive in KL; somewhere in the region of RM1500. And mind you, the cost is set to increase again.

During my time, getting a license was way cheaper. But the problem back then was you keep flunking unless you are willing to pay extra (coffee money, we call it)... I had to go many times for my motorbike and car license.... a total of 5 times, I think! 8( Either way, we are twisted into parting with our $$$.

Like everything else that is inflated, getting a license has seen a bigger inflationary rise I think. So, my boy better appreciate our generosity with him.... that is not inclusive of the car, the fuel he's going to burn, the maintenance of the car which we'll be forking out, plus and plus and plus....... he's got a spoon going into his mouth all the time and he doesn't seem to realize it.

3 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

wei, u going to charge your boy interest ka? just thinki, you could have your own chauffeur when u go shopping........lol

AJ7 said...

I think charging interest would be to my better interest... at the rate things are going, it's going to take him a lifetime to bayar balik-lah...

As for him chauffering... he'll probably do it while he's still at the gila steering stage; and that stage won't last forever. LOL!

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7 , make sure that he gets through in one trial. My younger one took 3 times !!! She could not get the car up the slope, stop and move again. I gave her the lesson she could never forget at the steep slope just outside the cave at Gunung Keriang Park. It is the perfect spot for such practice. Now she is a better driver than me, especially paking in KL.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...