Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gadgets that have joined our household...

This is one episode of a shopping spree for us.... all in one day!
breadmaker,kenwood
Finally joined the throngs of the 'health conscious' people and got ourselves a breadmaker. This one is more at Other Half's insistence! He is a bread (sandwich) fan. Anyway, since we had some cash vouchers at hand, we exchanged for a Kenwood. Breadmaker - you don't need much skills to make good breads with one of these machines. LOL! But still, we bungled up on our first bread making try... pressed the wrong buttons and bread came out all heavy. The yeast didn't get a chance to rise! Subsequent loaves turned out okay... even nice. We've even started experimenting with herbs in the bread, savoury bread. Not bad...
ceramic knife
We got ourselves a ceramic knife too... they cut better than metal knives. When you cut bread, there's less crumbs and you get a clean cut. Was sold on it after Ah Ho demonstrated her newly acquired one from Singapore. But the downside is this knife breaks easily. It comes with a ceramic fruit peeler too. 8)
vacuum,robot
And this was on impulse... we seldom do this - buy on impulse. Got ourselves a robot vacuum cleaner. Actually I have been contemplating a Roomba but its price has been a deterrent. Anyway, this was with the ceramic knife and I got sold. One of those purportedly Japanese brands but I think it's just a claim... Oku San No. A name which wouldn't even stick in our minds. 8)

So how did it go??? For one, my floors are definitely cleaner. Much better than when it's swept with a broom. LOL! Of course, this being a more 'inferior' brand (unlike iRobot or Navibot) also comes with some inferiority. I got awaken thrice by its beeps (for help) one morning cos it got stuck. I'm not setting it for night prowls anymore! But if this lasts beyond one year, I think I will lessen the number of days of my day help, it's easier dealing with a machine... However, my dream vacuum robot cleaner at this moment remains the Karcher RC 3000 Robo Cleaner which automatically empties the robot's dirt bin and other sophisticated functions like ability to map the area. The snag is it comes with a really hefty price tag.... so it remains a wishful thought.

The breadmaker, I am sure will last; it's a trusted brand. The ceramic knife I am not sure whether it can last without being broken. And the little robot vacuum??? I'll wait and see how durable it is....

14 comments:

Wooodychua said...

welcome to the breadmaking club! now u don't need to drive to taman stadium for home made bread!

AJ7 said...

can still drive there lah... that one comes with the touch of the expert. Ours, novices lah.

PreciousPearl said...

oh la la! maybe I can trade in Capt Caveman for a robo-vac :p

Sia Mooi said...

i love dat robot vacuum cleaner...

dat bread machine is the same as mine. I don't eat healthy bread...we just love it with nuts n chocs n without wholemeal!!!

i have two trusty recipes which i enjoy greatly if you want...choco walnut bread n poppy seed bread.

Dino said...

I had a Roomba once.....its ok laa....but sometimes it can't find its way back home.

AJ7 said...

PP: You sure? The robot a little idiotic sometimes. LOL! But it does a quite a good job so far..

SM: Send them over. And if you have any other trusty recipes to share, they are more than welcomed. You have one of those robots?? I am already considering getting one for my mom.... 8)

Dino: You had a Roomba once and now you've gone back to manual work? I think I am going to find it hard to imagine life without the robot after this. 8)

Magictree said...

The robot vacumn caught my attention. Will check with you few months down the road and see if it's worth buying.....

Dino said...

Too bad you are not near me. I actually gave it away. ><

AJ7 said...

Dino: Your junk can make many of us happy lah.... The Roomba costs a small fortune here. It's 2K++ here lah. More than a month's salary for a young grad.

Magictree: Check out the Samsung Navibot. They are quite fast in innovating. If they make modifications to their current Navibot, it should be quite good.

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7, one loaf please............

Dino said...

I got my roomba on sale for $150 that time.It costs about $250 for a new one these days though.

AJ7 said...

Thomas: We'll send one over as soon as the baker gets his certification.. 8)

Dino: At USD150, convert to MYR still cheap like mad. We really pay through our nose for some things over here.... 8(

ALAM said...

nice gadget

Anna Lupton said...

Please could you tell me what model this is as I have one and havent got a manual for it -Thank you

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...