Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Brevity of life...

Been a hectic week. My father-in-law fell ill and within a week he was gone. Hospital visits, the stress of helplessness, funeral arrangements and then it was over. The whole thing feels a little surreal now, probably because the 'briefness' of everything made it feel like a roller coaster ride. The ups and downs came rather quickly and before we even adjusted to it, it was over.

The support from family and friends was awesome. My father-in-law was the quietest and humblest man I've ever known, a man who tried to live to his faith...

The brevity of life... life is like a candle. One moment burning, then no more. I learn this too, you find the extraordinary in the ordinary. We often think of the extraordinary as spectacular, visible, huge, etc. But sometimes the extraordinary is just the opposite. They come in the forms often not acknowledged by the world as extraordinary; humility, gentleness, kindness, forbearing, filial piety at their most humanly possible truest forms. I saw a lot of those in his ordinary and unassuming life... and that was how people who came spoke of him.

Two funerals in less than 6 months..... used to be grandma and he will cover us in prayers faithfully and I think we'll miss that comforting knowledge that they are covering us with their prayers.

13 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

oh dear, i didn't know that. so sorry for your loss, and our condolences to you both and your family.

Dino said...

Sorry to hear of the loss. :(

Thomas C B Chua said...

Condolences 2 both of you. May he R.I.P. in the Lord.

Life is indeed a brief candle.

" We are tenants and ...... shortly the great Landlord will give us notice that our lease has expired." Joseph Jefferson.

Magictree said...

Condolences to you and family....so many has left us....

AJ7 said...

Thanks...

Unknown said...

Condolences to you and the family.

monay said...

My deepest condolences to you and other half and family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I heard he went with a smile..what a man.

Yes living,dying let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring -
That he who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Saviour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt0WluTpFTg&feature=related

monay said...

song by aaron shust
I am not skilled to understand...

AJ7 said...

Yup! He went with a smile.... peace was on his face as soon as MIL told him that it's okay to leave, despite he being in an induced coma. The assurance of his faith is very comforting to him, I can be see that. His last words to me.. he'll continue to pray for my boy!... which I appreciate very much.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear abt your loss. Our condolences to your family.

Audrey

ing said...

wow ... another prayer warrior .... pray God will raise up the warriors in our generation to stand in the gap for our next generation and generations to come ...

very sorry to hear your loss .... understand ur feeling cos we lost 2 uncles (ma's 2nd & 6th bro) in 3 mths.

rainbow said...

Thanks Audrey, Ing...

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...