Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gu long piak...

That's Hokkien for cow hit wall. Very often we're like that... act based on our feelings alone only and because of that we'll hit the wall real hard. Hitting the wall hard means more pain.

What makes us go 'long-piak' most of the time? Because we think we know better? Or maybe we feel we're right? I don't know but each has its own reason. I 'long-piak' sometimes too. But over the years, I've learned to listen to counsel; as much as I sometimes don't like to but because I realize they come from good and well-meaning friends who want what is good for me, I try out their advice. Of course occasionally it still won't work out but I think I'm still better of for trying. Cos sometimes others see things we don't cos we are too clouded by our feelings.

'Long-piak'... it's actually a painful affair. But sometimes it's the only way to learn. Pain makes us better learners. But if we can avoid hitting the wall, it's much better. Why this rambling?? Cos I think I see a friend 'long-piak' and costing her so much; yet she cannot seem to realize it. *Sigh* But it's our own choice in the end... have to hit, you'll just have to.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh! I've not heard this expression for a long time! Hardly anyone speaks Hokkien around me. Yay, it's good to be open to opinions.

All Things Beautiful said...

If I am near "piak", please pull me back, yeah? ... better still, tell me before I become "gu" :-)

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7, some people only learn when they "long piak" or rather they "long piak" to learn.

A few I know never take advice and even if they do they have to rephrase in their own words.

My only regret is that I have no siblings or good friends who could warn me of the "piak" and most of the time that bit of sense that the Good Lord bestowed in me helps me to avoid the "piak."

In most cases the "piak" is the only teacher for some people.

PreciousPearl said...

oh dear.... my "piak" must be demolished by now X_X
however, in the last few years i have learnt that it is less painful to count to 100 before responding. Sometimes it takes making and having a cup of tea. Other times it's 100 cups of tea before making the snarky response. Altogether better for reducing cardiac arrest and head bandages :)

AJ7 said...

Me take the silent path... when I can. Very hard! Less said better sometimes when the other party is already hitting the piak! Cannot reason with people who want to long-piak! We get wedged! LOL! Maybe I shall try your 100 cups of tea! ROFL!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...