Thursday, August 11, 2011

My MacBook On Last Legs

Before I bought my MacBook, I used to hear about how durable Macs are... well, I have a feeling my MacBook might be on its last few legs... First, the battery went kaput right around March. These days, I've got to plug it into the power socket to use it. Battery is totally useless. I tried looking up for a replacement but it's way too expensive, the original. Low Yat has a cheaper one but still I've to fork out more than RM100 without being able to try. So, it's back to the power socket for me.

Then not too long ago, I discovered that I was getting intermittent wi-fi connection. I would lose my wifi signals off and on. But I could still reconnect by just clicking on the network that I wanted to reconnect. But a while back, I found out that once it disconnected, I couldn't reconnect unless I restarted. That was when I began to entertain the idea of getting another replacement... but I wasn't that willing to part with our hard earned money... plus a new model might be coming out end of the year. And it's already nearly the 4th quarter.

Thought that was it.. but inconvenience continued to pile itself onto me. Lately, I would get disconnected from the wi-fi network after a minute or so of being connected. Restarting might not even get the connection back. Sometimes multiple reconnections are required. Maybe I'm getting older but I seem generally more patient, even though 4-5 times of restarting is required. 8(

I have a friend who has a MacBook Pro, the one with the unibody casing which is newer than mine. It recently went kaput... first the wifi and now the computer refuses to come to life. Macs losing their tahan lasak-ness??? Mine has lasted me almost 3.5 years. I thought they do 5 easily.... I shall probably try to hang on to it for as long as I can. These days, I find myself able to get through the days without having to switch it on with my iPad around... but it's still rather irritating to have its wifi go off at whims.

Last legs... 1 leg totally gone, 1 more seems to be getting more capek by the day....

2 comments:

Wooodychua said...

So sad to hear that. But I've recently done a bit of reading of reviews about Mac products. I googled 'lifespan' of the products and was shocked to find that ppl are 'happy' that their apple products lasts 4 years! My fujitsu notebook is already almost 6 years old and no major problems. That's why when I thought it'd be a no-brainer to get a Macbook for my next computer, I hesitated. Truly electronics nowadays are not built to last. Oh and my faithful Palm is still going strong. :o) Darn it....no excuse to get Ipad/Ipod

AJ7 said...

Chelsea's MacBook tahan 7 years leh....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...