Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A First For Penang

I have finally decided to blog...put my thoughts down. We forget too easily.
Moved by the events of the last few days, seeing the impossible happening - I never thought I would see it in my lifetime. Thought the people of Malaysia are not ready for such a drastic change. Still in my mind, I wonder whether it's because of the real issues or that people were caught up by the psyche created by the Oppositions the last few years. The role of the internet is not to be overlooked here. I, for one, have depended on the net for alternative news. Just to name a few, Tony Pua, Nik Nazmi, Harris Ibrahim and countless others.

So, today, as Penang with the appointment of GE as CM and hopefully later Selangor and Perak (officially) move into uncharted territory, I am full of hope that this may mark the beginning of a Malaysian Malaysia. A Malaysia where people are not divided along racial lines but united in one common thing....we are Malaysians. For the new governments being formed you are being watched. For Penang, Perak and Selangor all eyes will be on you to see how well you can steer us into this uncharted territory.

For Kedah, where I reside, there are still doubts as to how PAS will carry itself, whether or not it will drop its hardline image and adopt a gentler face of Islam, that remains to be seen. Right now, in today's The Star I have already read that establishments are making outward makeovers. This is probably PAS' first opportunity in running a state with slightly more non-Muslims. If they do it well here, then maybe they will be more readily accepted by the rest of the country.

Updates: 12/03
Interesting to note that the DAP candidate has been dropped from the EXCO line-up. The 3 EXCO seats offered to PKR now are made up of a Malay, Chinese and Indian each. PKR is leading the way to non-race based politics with this one small step.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...