Wednesday, February 25, 2009

English in today's F5 Class...

Was rummaging through some stuff around the house the other day and came across some of my dad's books my mom had passed to me. Many were English books. I flipped through and thought it might be useful to me. So today, I took the Std 5 books and copied the passages on the board for my Form 5 students to do.. these are your regular low ability students... but the school labels them as the Cemerlang group. There are two other groups - Terbilang and Gemilang. No use of negative terms, you see...
I have no pets but some of my friends have pets Mary has a black cat. Leela has a white dog. Rosli has two green birds. Salmah has many pretty fish in a fish tank.
  1. Who has some birds at home?
  2. Who sometimes feeds fish?
  3. Who has a pet which will bark at strangers?
  4. Who keeps pets in a cage?
Most of my 23 students were able to get the answers right..... maybe it was kinda easy. The second passage...
Yesterday was a holiday. Gopal went fishing. Leela visited an uncle in Lumut. Seng Leng and Ahmad went to the cinema. Rosli helped his father to paint the kitchen. Krishnan did not stay at home. He went to a friend's house.
  1. Who did not go out yesterday?
  2. Who probably bought tickets yesterday?
  3. Who worked with Rosli yesterday?
21 of them had Q1 wrong. 22 had Q3 wrong! The passage above is slightly more difficult in the sense that there are implied facts. What do we have here?? A lack of language or thinking skills? I think probably it's more of the latter cos anything that would require a little brain work would usually cause my students to give up.

In the later part of today's lesson, I gave them a cloze passage (with choices of answers, of course). Majority of them could locate the right answers for the right blanks. But give them a cloze without aid... most of them would not even have any answers. Hence, it is common to get blank sheets if the question requires free writing.

So, regardless of whether Maths and Science are taught in English or in their mother tongue, for this group of students the benefit of them being taught in their mother tongue may be less than what most think.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

and what would Mr Patrick say to that!

Anonymous said...

kakaka... the standard has dropped by so much!!! form 5 kids cannot kautim standard 5 questions from our era...

AJ7 said...

Anonymous.. Mr. Patrick would faint... ha! ha!
Daboss... I am constantly digging into my lil gal's books for ideas. If use the text book, everyone 'die'. They 'die' cos they don't comprehend... I 'die' from trying to make them comprehend. Try translating a comprehension passage sentence for sentence... Your BM sure guarantee to improve... but after a lesson from them, you'd be so boh-lat! Math and Science in English??? We need it lah... the students need all the practice they can get..

PreciousPearl said...

here's fight to you king kong! teacher, i am not understand. Can go home or not? My brain full liao.
LOL

AJ7 said...

PP... if majority of my students can even speak like that, I'd be happy!!! You will not believe the kind of scripts many of get these days.. my brain oso full liao.. from trying to comprehend the gibberish! Ka! Ka! Ka!

Wooodychua said...

May not be such a bad idea to send all of them to Noah's Land for a spell....

Anonymous said...

woi u promote 4 ur mom hah?

AJ7 said...

Illustrator: these kids too big ade-lah. And they have an equally big attitude also... but they'll survive. I've this ex-student.. just like majority of those in my post. He's doing fine out in the business world... can cari makan, can survive still. When he was in school, he was a pain in the butt, but now that he has to ambil hati his customers, he is buttering up people pulak. And that is survival skill.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...