Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day....

It's over-hyped.... and I don't understand why in Saudi Arabia, they go to such lengths to ban it. It seemed the Authority for Enjoining Good and Preventing Evil ordered retail outlets to rid themselves of Valentine's Day paraphernalia. Wow! They have a department for that!... just to prevent evil. But how do you bust evil?? What is evil? Buying a flower for someone you love is evil???

In India, the Hindu Shiv Sena party even went to the extent of violent protests to make their point that Valentine's Day is bad for the society. So, you aren't supposed to show love to the person you love, at least not in the Valentine's Day way... whatever that is. Hmmmm..

People fall in love, regardless of age. So with or without V-day, people will still celebrate it. I know Valentine's Day had its origins in the Christian saint, St Valentine who went to jail because he disagreed with the emperor that conscripted young men should not marry. But, the Valentine's Day of today is only remotely related to St Valentine.... St Valentine didn't give any flower to any gal... I think. Priests and celibacy thingy..

Anyway, V-day was a packed day for me. There was school to start with... which was total waste of time cos nothing much got done except that we replaced a day.
Photobucket
Then it was followed by another hike up the 888 Hill in Pokok Sena. We had 'new' old people with us; there were 10 of us. My lil one went again.
Photobucket
And even though this tiny hill has been ravaged for its soil, I still look so tiny. The initial aim was to climb up to the top but I gave up as the soil was kinda loose.This shot is to remind me how puny and small I am as compared to nature.
Photobucket
And I competed with Aaron at sit ups... I did a total of 65, he had 28, I think. *grinning* I'll gloat over this while I still can cos I know in no time, he'll outdo me.. that's for sure. For now, my ab muscles are still 'fitter' than his. I wonder whether he'll be reminded of this each time he laughs for the next coupla days. Ha! Ha! But he's got youth on his side... I don't. That's him grimacing as he tried to come up from the bench.. at number 27, I think. LOL!

Hike was followed by a 'birthday' dinner. We did a rushed one.... but company and food were good. Then it was off to a wake service... this is the second one in a month. But the difference is, when one has lived a full life, there is also sadness but we tend to look at it as a celebration of life; rightly so too:
2 Timothy 4: 7-8
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
We'll miss her here but she'll be in Heaven waiting for us.

So, there, my Valentine weekend..... packed to the brim but for that I am thankful cos it's nice to be alive and be able to spend time with the people who matter in our lives.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...