Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Is faith a real thing???

I believe in God... that I'm certain, though I can be quite a skeptic at times. Especially when my logical mind tries to make sense of everything; which of course makes my life kinda complicated at times. But I've realized the mind is too finite to comprehend the infinite... Still that did not stop me from spending a good part of my early twenties searching... reading into philosophy, the bibles of different faiths... Stubborn-mah!

One thing I was certain is this - Man is created with a vacuum in his heart... Our times of need will cause us to turn to a Greater Being. There are so many things which are just out of our control, you see. It's automatic, almost instinctive. Some may find this puzzling. Some may try to deny this need but it's there. Who do we call out to when things really reel out of our control, when every where we turn only desperation greets us???

Hence, I think Man is created with this built-in antennae which is tuned to God. You know, like our children... they've this built-in antennae which causes them to instinctively turn to their parents in their times of needs. God the Father and we are his children.... we as children of God turn to Him in our times of need.

Other Half put it better. He thinks Man is created as a spiritual vessel. But this spiritual vessel is created with the freedom to choose. Being a vessel means this need to fill it; the vacuum. Question is what kinds of spiritual beings do we fill it with?

How do we know the Being we fill ourselves with is the right one? Other Half's way of making sense.... a car needs to be filled in order for it to move. There's the petrol engine which we are so used to. Then there is the diesel engine on the other end.... put diesel into a petrol engine... car still runs.. sometimes when there is a mix of petrol in the tank, it'll run fine but eventually it will wear or break down your engine cos diesel is heavier and therefore harder on the engine. Something will break eventually!

So, if we fill our spiritual being with the right Being, like the car we'll run okay. But if we fill it with a 'wrong' Being, then perhaps like the car, we'll seem to run okay for a while but eventually end up in the junkyard.

Interesting article here... The Biology Belief... which reinforces what I've always believed; but it gives it a more logical and scientific explanation. Faith makes more logical sense to me after the read.... sometimes going by just simple faith is difficult for me. I have to complicate things for myself.. what of simple faith, huh??

According to the article too, it says believing in a loving God adds years to one's life as opposed to a punitive God... Points to ponder. I supposed bitterness tends to eat us from the inside. Like the rot, it sets out from the inside to the outside. Unseen in the beginning but when it finally shows, you'd be too long gone.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...