Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Koru... Foochow Style

This is something which I've been intending to do for quite a while. Been procrastinating but finally got down to it last Tuesday. 'Koru" or fish maw cooked sweet, sour and spicy style. This is part of my Foochow heritage, most definitely.
Photobucket
Had some fish maw left from CNY. So, I baked them and soaked as per advised. But I am told that for some maw, it's okay not to bake or fry them. Fried the usual stuff...but I also used Kg Koh Chilli... Foochow style so must use Foochow chilli. Ha! Ha! Dumped in all the other stuff like bamboo shoot, squid, chicken meat (including leftovers), sea cucumber. Also added some cili padi when I did the frying to give it the oomph.

Instead of thickening the sauce with corn starch which the standard practice, I used mashed potato to thicken the gravy as well as give it the extra sweetness. Stock was chicken stock. I had some abalone pieces and scallops in my freezer but forgot to throw them in. Will do so next round.

The dish tasted even better the next day after being re-boiled as all the flavours had settled and seeped into the fish maw. Tasted kinda rich too. This is one of Other Half's favourites. And Mol also enjoyed her share it seems. Cooking... something I can enjoy also-lah! Diversifying more as I grow older.

3 comments:

Athena said...

this dish is definitely an acquired taste lots of my friends and relatives still don't get the hang of it! :)

AJ7 said...

Quite a few of my non-Foochow friends here find it quite nice. The sweet sour (and spicy) taste actually makes it very appetizing, I think.

Anson Ong said...

aouwww......almost CANNOT find this MANDATORY Sitiawan CLASSIC in KL area at all....haih....but fortunately if Sitiawan is 3+ hours away, then my 3rd sis can be towed away with me together with my mom n dad to have that KOR ROU in e.g. Bei King/Michelin Star/Ah Hing etc ler....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...