Friday, February 6, 2009

Midlife crisis??

Right about after one passes the 4th decade of his/her life, midlife crisis hits... that is what's generally perceived.

This came to mind in church during the CNY weekend back home.
Photobucket
What I saw..... 2 generations around me; the generation before me (my parents' generation) with graying hair and the the generation after me. And I realized that I've entered the phase of the generation before me which they have vacated; many among my peers have assumed those responsibilities that came with it... And to replace what my generation has vacated, a whole new younger generation is coming up, filled with youthful vigour and dynamism, waiting by the sideline, ready to assume their rightful places!

I couldn't help but feel a sense of loss...... I could look it from another angle and call it a gain. But somehow, that morning, it was this profound sense of loss that I felt.... though I could see that replacement and renewal were ongoing. The changing of guard was happening, right before my eyes. I saw a good friend's father; he was finding it difficult to stand through the whole worship. And I remember being in awe of him just not too long ago! Everything is so temporal. The youth that we worship.... life here on earth!

Change was happening... Maybe the phrase midlife crisis is not so appropriate. Perhaps it should be referred to as an another awakening to an awareness and perhaps a time of reflection... Just as during our teens we experienced an awakening to the world of adulthood to come, perhaps too 'midlife' is time of another gentle reminder.... a reminder of our mortality and that some day we will have to answer to our Creator! Else, why these phases, why the 'automatic' crazy 'Hyde-moments' which seem to appear so naturally?

So at midlife, it's time to take stock of our lives... maybe correct the sails if we're going the wrong direction but certainly not the time to go more sesat if we are already on that path, though some do. I think sometimes, we find it a bit difficult to accept this particular rite of passage.... confusion, boredom, the need to search for adventure, anger, doubt are among the contributors. So perhaps, because of that, we often hear of those in midlife doing crazy things, just like those in the 'crazy' teen years....

Midlife .... one of my childhood friends whom I met up during CNY was just telling me that she cannot believe that we've reached that milestone. She said she's still in denial. LOL! Yeah!! I too find it hard to believe that I've come this far. If not for meeting up with old friends I've not seen for years but share that special familiarity, friends who shared my youth and its craziness, the realization might not have gone in this way.... sometimes it takes a piece of the past to piece the present for you....

Incidentally, all these politicians in the Perak imbroglio... they're all in their midlife too... their sails seem a bit sesat now... if don't correct... someday... I reckon they'll also have to face their day of reckoning.... it will be a terrible reckoning by the looks of things...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"sometimes it takes a piece of the past to piece the present for you...." how well put....sometimes, it's scary how life twists and turns and will soon be over. I can't believe I am already 40. It seems just like yesterday, I was in my 20s and 40 was very far away. It is here now, in a flash.... Somehow I thought I would be wiser when I reach that age, but most of the time, still feel the same as when I was younger....so in short I don't feel 40..:)

AJ7 said...

That was what YL said.... hence, the denial... past is a good reminder. I am thankful for that reminder and for the friends who passed through my life. My life is made much richer because of that.... as I grow older, that is one of the things that I realize

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...