Sunday, October 17, 2010

Budget, budget 2011...

Nothing very exciting for me this budget.... except that like many, I thought it funny that lingeries, underwear, mosquito nettings, handbags, cosmetics are going to cost less. Can't blame me if my first thought was.... "Wah! Rosmah's budget!!" LOL!

What would have excited me... BONUS!!! Or perhaps prices of everyday foodstuff going down. Bonus is quite out of the question; doesn't need a genius to see that with our current bloated civil service, it's going to cost the country more. At 1.2 million civil servants, we even top America! And our population is not even one tenth of theirs! If you asked me, I think we have way too many civil servants. Just look at some gahmen departments' tea break. It's not uncommon to see civil servants clocking in and then going for their breakfast.... time on tax payer's money. Or see them at 10.00 ++ in the morning at the kedai kopi having their mid-morning break. Anyway, word of bonus would probably send prices of stuff spiraling upwards.

One piece of good news though... finally eco-friendly car prices are coming down. Toyota Prius is going to cos around RM130K instead of the RM170K. Still it's expensive. Won't be getting it anytime soon though cos my set of wheels are still quite new.

Maternity break... doesn't take another Einstein to see that all new mothers would want the 90-day break! Gahmen servants will surely take all 90-days but the private sector... they've got to think of bottom line. Small companies might find it hard to give 'free' money to their employees.

Service charge going up by 1%. Number might seem small but still, it's an increase. Better eat at hawker stalls more.

No toll hike for 5 years! Not going to affect us much as we are not KL-ites. But what's this compensation thing to the toll concessionaires! They borrowed money from the people and reaped fantastic profits and the gahmen just keep extending their contract. We've so many people working out the calculations how the contracts benefitted the companies and not the people. If I were any smarter, I'd think that the gahmen does not have our best interest at heart. Just take a look at Penang... good governance... even the Seberang Perai Municipal which has been in the red has gone into the black. And in only 2 years! Whatever happened to all the money all these years?

And to top it all... another mega structure. Wawasan Building. What wawasan does the building represent? More cronyism? More wastage? More corrupt practices? More pseudo 1Malaysia thingy??? Get real! Channel the money into the Talent Corporation. Get our talented people back to build our country.

I was thinking about my guppy tempayan the other day. When I first started my guppy tempayan, I bought these really beautiful and colourful guppies. It's been more than 2 years since I bought them... and I hardly looked at them, leaving them to my gal and sister-in-law to care for them. Recently I decided to clean the tempayan and to my surprise, my guppies are all now either beige or dark brown... just like the longkang guppies. They are very few colourful ones left. In breeding has all but almost wiped out their colours and size. My guppies live very comfortable lives, fed with the best fish food. But living in the tempayan, and having no new guppies introduced into their midst have literally dulled them and decreased their sizes.....

Malaysia is rich in diversity... different races, culture, food, etc, etc. Instead of promoting this diversity in the truest of sense, we divide. We instill suspicion. And when the race card tak jalan, we use religion. We harp on race 'inferiority' - hence the need to keep promoting one race only. Our diversity is our advantage... instead, it feels like we're turning into the guppies in the tempayan, all luster lost through in-breeding. Now I have so many of these guppies that I don't know whether to throw them into the longkang or introduce more new guppies into my tempayan....

1 comment:

All things beautiful said...

Can have RM5bil Warisan Merdeka, but cannot give RM3.1bil bonus to civil servants, doesn't make sense lor...

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...