Friday, October 8, 2010

Getting back into the game...

Am thinking of giving it a miss this year... but my old team mates persuaded me to just go and dig a few balls. I g(c)ave(d) in. So I went and served, 'aunty-spiked', set a couple of balls. The brief volleyball season is back!!!!!

A year has passed since our last game. And even though I am relatively fit, a 'laid-off' game still pose some pain. You need constant contact to be on top of things. Else you'll just rust. But if you have a good foundation and the determination, it's easier to get back to it if the time lapse is not too great. And determination rules.... cos without it, even though you have the skill, you can't last. Anyway, it still hurts to get back into the game!

Got up this morning with some mild bruising and a backache.... not that sort that agonizes but enough to nag and cause discomfort each time I move certain body parts.

I don't know what keeps us going back.... fifty-ish and forty-ish almost half the team. And we're still able to match the 'youngsters' if not better them. Occasionally floored by births (us ladies and maternity breaks!) some of us have kept going back over the years... perhaps this might help to redefine the word 'addiction'... I don't know. Or this could be one of those little things that allow us not to get bored, lethargic and disengaged with our own lives????

Anyway, it's nice to let it out in the open court. We can scream and yell... in delight, glee and even frustration. Kinda nice to be able to just lepas steam. More often than never, as we grow older, we are all expected to be more composed and dignified... act your age kinda thing.

I am not sure whether I'll go for the competition... I know my team mates would want me to... harried existence that I lead at the moment. But it's good and nice to do something that is off the radar screen every now and then... akin to stop and smell the roses thingy.

2 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

go for it! i'll be cheering u on from the safety and comfort of my armchair :p

AJ7 said...

Wanna go... but got no time. 8(

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...