Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My First Tennis Lesson

I finally went for proper tennis lessons yesterday. It's the last major racket game that I do not play. I thought I might as well pick up another skill, learn something new and meet some new people... over the pulpit on Sunday, the speaker stressed on the importance of learning new skills. I guess that should apply here. Cos in learning new things if slows down the process of being to set in our ways, being overly comfortable with our habits so much so that we refuse to change.

My first experience in tennis was over 20 years ago.... Mr. Song How Ting took me to the SRC for a go... I didn't pursue it. My balls all terbang flat... landing way out of the courts. In tennis, picking balls is enough to make you not want to go back. Balls are supposed to curve downwards. Mine flew in a straight path until gravity pulled it down. Anyway, tennis was not a game for the masses as there weren't many community courts available back then.
Photobucket
Opportunity presented itself this time when the Club offered free tennis lessons. How are you going to find one group of beginners to begin with you? And a coach some more who will patiently show you the right techniques? Everyone picks ball together with you... You are not alone! LOL!

I think I did quite okay. Hit more balls over the net than into it. I could hit my backhand with one hand.. in fact my back hand felt better than my forehand. I guess my badminton basics had a great deal to do with it. Footwork shouldn't be too much of a problem. The control of the ball is. You can hit a shuttlecock as hard as you can, but it won't go too far. Hit a tennis ball hard with no control, it can fly over the fence! It's a different feel altogether.

But I enjoyed myself. Met some new people.... old and young! Didn't work out as much sweat as much as I had hoped but I shall try to go hit the wall and work on my strokes.... Oh ya! My elbow hurts a little now... with volleyball season starting... I hope it holds...

4 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots.... good of u. Only old dogs cannot learn new tricks. I'm toying with the idea of learning to fly a light plane. But wife says "Chooy Si." (Cari mati !!!)

♥ debbie ♥ said...

nice... my first attempt at playing tennis was with janice and uncle siew wah during family camp many many years ago... the ball flew right between them (they were only about a meter apart) and got stuck in the fence. definitely not a game for me.. i'm too dangerous. :P

ppearl said...

watch out Justine Henin & Kim Clijsters- here comes Aunty Amelia!
:D

AJ7 said...

LOL! You people are so funny!!!
Thomas : Old dogs still can learn new tricks... as long as we want we can move a little. When we don't want then the cobwebs start growing in our brains and before long, we tak boleh go anymore.

Deb: My balls also got stuck in the fence. All tennis beginners are very dangerous. LOL!

PP: If only... then I won't need to eke a living out of what I am doing now cos I'll be up there with Justine and Kim earning mega bucks! (Wah, calling them by first name. Macamlah!)Kah! Kah! Kah!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...