Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Restoran Berputar Menara Alor Setar

This is one of Alor Setar's famous landmarks - The Telekom Tower. We've had base jumps from this tower a couple of times. But right almost at the top is a restaurant - Restoran Seri Angkasa Menara Alor Setar.
Photobucket
This was last Thursday. We had our year-end annual makan and it was held here. The place is nice enough... how not to be? You get to dine with a view of the whole city! 360 degrees!
Photobucket
When my friend and I got there, the fountains were working. Yay! I've not been to this place for a long, long time. I pass by quite often but don't stop. It was nice to hear the sound of water. 8)
Photobucket
The layout of the food area looked okay from afar. But when you move nearer, the cups looked as though they've not been used for some time. There were stuff 'pasted' to the side of many cups.
Photobucket
Soon it was time to eat. But the taste was nothing spectacular. In fact I think the kuih from Jln Tun Razak, sold by the old pakcik beside the fire station is far better.... and probably cheaper. We had Nasi Goreng Cina which was really bland. Also there were some crab balls which were nothing to shout about, chicken which I didn't take and popiah which were rubbery. I made the mistake of taking two. I was made to understand that they charged us at RM30 per head. I think RM300 per table can get us way better food in a sit down meal. Pizza Hut would have been more satisfying or Rasa Mas for that matter.
Photobucket
The men beat us to the food... no chilvary here. LOL! We fight for gender equality now... so I guess there's nothing to complain. Oh yes! There was laksa but it was a little bland also. Not enough stuff inside... quite obvious. Food tastes only as good as the stuff you put in.

The restaurant was very warm. The only comfortable place was at the lift area. You actually sweat as you eat. The restaurant was supposed to revolve but it didn't... in the end someone asked whether we'd like to have it move... most said no. In the heat, I think to have it revolve probably would make many of us pusing kepala also.
Photobucket
This should be a very nice dining place cos of the bird's view that one gets over Alor Setar but service and food leave much to be desired. If not for being 'forced' to go there, I don't think I'd want to go back there again. I think if they want more people to go there, they'd have to improve on what is important for a restaurant - food and service! Thumbs down to this Restoran Seri Angkasa. This is the first time, I think a makan place is really a waste of money to go for a meal there!

2 comments:

All things beautiful said...

Ha! Did I tell u the time when I went there for the annual staff lunch? We had to wait donkey years for the lift to take us down cos only 1 was serving the restaurant. In the end, some of us used the stairs!!!

AJ7 said...

Good exercise to aid with the digestion...LOL!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...