Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Migration anyone?

Migration is as old as the human race. Nah! I'm not thinking of it. My grandparents came from China. It was a difficult decision but they did it because life in Nanyang was full of better promises. So, all my grandparents (maternal and paternal) came in a boat at a young age. They settled in different places, though. The China they left behind was a China in ruins... in part from the gwai-low (westerners) and in part, the decay stemming from within the Chinese civilization itself. The final destruction may have been externally inflicted but was also internally induced.

That migration cut them off from their families in China. Ties were lost. I never remembered anyone of them ever talked about seeing their parents again. There were some attempts to reconnect with my paternal grandfather's brother's family but it never got beyond a few visits. And it was done by my late aunty and uncle's families. My grandfather never did see his brother's family again. His family history was one from riches to rags tale; a tale of the fall from nobility to ordinary peasants. As that of China's at that time.

Migration today! It's still happening. The reasons which drive the migration remains almost the same even though surrounding circumstances may not be so bad anymore. Many of my friends have migrated... unlike the earlier wave, my gen's wave headed towards the west. Again, for better promises and hope.

Modern technology has enabled families to remain in touch but basically, many ties are severed too. Many of these young people study overseas and remain there. So, once in a year or sometimes in many years, they come back for a visit. Ties become loose over the years and very often, they get severed. It's not uncommon to hear the older folks lamenting that their children no longer come home.

Migration becomes more possible when the kids are sent overseas, usually for their tertiary education. And most of them like it there. How not to if one spends his formative years in a foreign land. Add that to the better opportunities that avail themselves, many stay on. Then they get married and have kids. Before long, the roots grow quite deep.

So, migration old and new... they have the same effect. On those who migrate - the promises of hope. For those who remain and miss their off springs - broken and pining hearts and sometimes, emptiness.... Kinda sad...

7 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

Seen this in my family. What is your stand? Will you let your kids leave the two of you and start a new life in a foreign land?

AJ7 said...

My stand? Basically we can't stop the kids to leave if they want to.

I would like my children around me when I am old - if God grants me that. 8) But I am also mindful that this is one decision that is made up of 2 parts - theirs and mine.

Anyway, this is always hard. Some parents want their children to leave so that they too can follow suit later. Some parents want their children to stay but the kids don't want. What about you?

Dino said...

Don't have to go far, some go KL or Singapore also cannot make it back to see their parents.

AJ7 said...

Dino... very true. Everyone has an excuse. The question is where do we draw the line?

Sia Mooi said...

Yes, the choice will be theirs finally. We can give our opnion etc. Prefer them with me...but we never know what will happen later. Brainwashing them now; again...they will have their mind on what they want later. Doubt I'd be interested in living overseas if they move..then again hard to say. Found that many things in life we just can't plan them our way...leave it in God's hand n pray bout our plans!!!!

Thomas C B Chua said...

Randon Shots, finally b4 the curtain comes down, u have 2 see your own sunset. Your children may not be there to share with you. Your spouse, perhaps and then one of you has to go and the first 2 go is the blessed one.

AJ7 said...

I agree with you.. our sunsets are our own... we have to face it ourselves. I don't know why but it has always been impressed upon us that family members should be around in the send off.... maybe fear of the unknown??

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...