Sunday, July 25, 2010

When I Grow Old...

Remember when we were kids? How we'd say when I grow up I am going to....... Well lately, this other phrase has been coming to my mind.

When I grow old...... So what comes? Crankiness forgetfulness, placidness, being easy, difficult?

If growing up was hard, I think growing old is even harder. At least growing up offers more hope. Growing old, for many, you're dealing with a dying hope, unless you have a Rock of Gibraltar kind of faith in the hope of eternity. Growing old... you become slower, you lose your usefulness, you have problems occupying your time with meaningful pursuits.... and the uncertainty of not knowing what awaits you at the end of your journey. Lights out!

I think to a great extent.... the choices and decisions of today play a role....

With your spouse, liberate each other by encouraging each other to reach your own potential. When we are young, it's easy to feel that the world is at our feet and that we can do, own and dictate everything. Life doesn't go on forever for us... I've seen husbands 'incapacitate' their wives by not encouraging them to drive or not allowing their wives to handle the finances. I've seen wives incapacitating their husbands by baby-ing them, serving them hand to mouth.... you may feel empowered then but there'll come a time when this negative empowerment only incapacitates.

Infuse your kids with faith. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. And when your kids marry, love their spouses like you love your own kids. Be generous to a fault with your sons or daughters-in-law and above all let them chart their own paths. Acting like a matriarch or patriarch does you no good. In letting go it might feel like you are losing them but the likelihood of gaining them back is greater too.

Treasure those little gems of friends that God sends along our way. They are our greatest assets in difficult times. The lack of blood ties that you share with them sometimes can be liberating. You get a neutral sympathetic ear and a comfortable shoulder to cry on.

As for ourselves... keep your mind sharp and your body well worked. Both require effort and discipline. You might want to give it all up and just sit back. Remaining idle... that's a sure way of losing it all too. You cripple yourself slowly too. Be flexible and continue to wonder at life... it helps to keep us going. Be proactive and don't cripple yourself with 'I cannots'... There is so much we can do for ourselves....

Life on earth.... It's a losing battle in the end but one which we've to keep going until we're done with our journeying on this earth. Just my two sen.... a culmination of my world that I see.

4 comments:

daboss said...

a timely reminder... thanks... we are all getting old... by the day!!!

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7, cannot agree more with u. U have taken the words right out of my mouth. I want to skid into heaven with a well worn out body, hair ( if any) disheveled, shirt and pants all torn and tattered and with "Bollinger" in my hand and say, " Phew....!!! I made it !!"

monay said...

when I grow old? Haven't thought much of that.... but really nice piece. Kudos. But I keep thinking it so scary fast how the kids are growing...

PreciousPearl said...

this mortal coil.....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...