Monday, July 12, 2010

Goodbye World Cup 2010.. And the winner is....

....... Paul the Octopus!!!!

End of a month of football fever... if you can call it a fever. It used to quite a number of my classmates would catch the 'fever'. My best friend and I would even curi-curi call each other at night on football nights without our parents' knowledge. And we'd stay awake to watch the game just so that we can share the excitement the next morning at school.... that was so long ago.

Enter my classes this past month... I'd have a few sleepy heads in class. But it wouldn't be football that they stayed up for. They'd be some but the numbers are few. So where once, we might catch forty winks in class because of football, these days kids are all sleepy in class but not because of football. And actually very few of them have caught the football fever. I find my peers (the adults) more into the WC than the kids.

How to best remember this edition? Nope! Not Messi, Kaka, Drogba or about 'em footballers showing off their bodies (with as little as possible. These days, it's a lot of showing as much flesh as possible). But unfortunately they're not as hot as the living oracles!!!!... Paul the sotong, and the wannabes; Mani the parakeet and Pauline the female octopus.

This morning as I walked up the stairs to the office to sign in, my student who was hoping that the Netherlands would win said we lost. My reply to him was... "Yup! The sotong won!" Guess you can call this another form of football gila-ness. LOL! And that's how I'll remember this World Cup!

And oh yes! The ongoing Malaysian Badminton Open... I think it got totally eclipsed by the WC, plus the fact that the field (minus many of the top players) is as predictable as the rising and setting of the sun. And it had no Paul or Mani or Pauline or whatever form of living oracles to spice it up!

5 comments:

daboss said...

i didn't even watch a single match... i must be the most kayu guy around... :) :(

PreciousPearl said...

ditto :D
but it was funny to hear the excited responses from downstairs cos Capt Caveman & Cavebaby were watching the final

AJ7 said...

daboss... I didn't watch the finals... just kept track of the scores! LOL! Need that in my profession. The only game I actually watch was the opening match! In between I caught a bit here and there.

PP: What kind of excited responses? I thought Cavebaby is recuperating?

monay said...

I did that???? We watched quite a lot of the matches this time round, nevermind that they were on the Spanish stations. It was good timing too... most games started 7am and ended around 9am (just before going to work...:). I must confess I skipped my Sunday school class to watch the finals....

AJ7 said...

Monay... your gray cells really got limited space-lah. So many things you don't seem to remember. How are you going to tell old grandmother tales next time? LOL!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...