Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sakae Sushi...Losing Its Awesomeness

The last few Saturdays have been very busy times.... some renovation; which means some painting job for me as well. Painting means there's cleaning to do before that. So, yesterday, even though we had quite a lot to do, while clearing up the store; then I decided to repaint the walls in the store too and throw away stuff which we've not used for a long time. It's an unending battle against the things that collect around the house. By the time we were done it was mid afternoon.

But we decided to go somewhere different to makan since it's been a while since we went out of town... so we made a drive to Sunway Carnival in Seberang Prai, to Sakae Sushi for our dinner; also partly to try out our new upgrade, the Garmin nuvi 1460! All 5 inches of display now! LOL! New added features. Our old Garmin nuvi 255 has found a new home... I hope it will be useful.
Garmin 1460
It's got this Eco Drive app in it which can tell you whether you are an eco driver! And it also has bluetooth connectivity.

Anyway, 3rd time at Sakae Sushi... been a couple of months since we went there. But somehow this time, the wowness has gone. I was looking forward to sampling some oysters since July is supposed to be their oyster month.
Crispy Potato Oyster
We had fried Crispy Potato Oysters too. Verdict - oysters are best eaten raw. Tastier and sweeter. Fry them and you lose their taste to the flour and oil.... in this case, the shredded potatoes. Presentation may be nice but nothing beats raw oysters! So after the disappointment with the fried oyster, I decided to leave my stomach for raw oysters next time... don't want to spoil it for myself! LOL!
Beef Shiogayaki
I ordered the Beef Shiogayaki bento set. I like Japanese food for their simple cooking in their bento sets. I'm not so much of a sushi fan. My other 3 family members like their mochi. Their endamame is not as nice as the ones I get from Kaede in Alor Setar...
Salmon and Scallops
Son took their Sakae Gozen set with salmon and baked scallops in cheese and roe....
Fried Chicken
...fried chicken... fried to perfection.
Curry
and curry.
Sushi
We also had some of their sushi from the conveyor belt. This is one of their more unique looking ones - I've forgotten what it's called.
gari,sushoga,pickled ginger
But this Other Half and I like... their pickled ginger called gari or sushoga, which came free. Judging by the number of empty containers that glided past us, this must be a huge favourite with the patrons. We also ordered their desert ice-cream again this time, the pineapple sorbet but it was a huge disappointment. Very bland. Hardly could taste the pineapple in it.

A short afternoon out, after a day made up of tuition, cleaning, painting and clearing.... quite nice.

8 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

ur pics always look so mouth-wateringly good.

AJ7 said...

Get a good camera.... and hold your hands steadily. But thanks for the compliments! 8)

PreciousPearl said...

u r right, raw oysters are best. Shd try next time with just chili sos
it's not often we get Japanese food round here - i suppose it's just the Yo Sushi that is nearest to where we live, and I always object to the exorbitant prices they charge.... :(

AJ7 said...

But you do get plenty of oysters, right?

daboss said...

i find the sakae sushi outlets in kl filthy... i complain to the captain without fail... but still frequent it coz my son loves the computer-system used to order food!!!

PreciousPearl said...

errr.... no, i can't afford the price of oysters in the UK! last time I had some, a client paid for that meal :D

AJ7 said...

daboss: The ones we went were okay! Maybe cos they're newer I guess. The computer ordering is one pull factor... 8)

poh ling tai said...

Thanks but no thanks. Oyster's not for me..

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...