Monday, April 5, 2010

Sakae Sushi...

I like Japanese food... but it took this to win Other Half over. And because of this, he was game to join in a one-hour drive for it. LOL!
Sakae Sushi
Mochi... we have our own version called the tang yuan. I am no fan of it having been 'forced' to eat plenty of those after helping mom roll them when I was a young kid. Don't get me wrong, rolling them was fun. It's just the eating them that I didn't seem to relish. But according to Other Half and Son, the mochi in Sakae Sushi is actually quite smooth. Father and Son have the same liking where this is concerned.
Sakae Sushi
Anyway, we've been there twice in a fortnight, the second time with friends. 8) One kid gets to eat for free if you have a credit card from HLB and order their bento set. This is the train set and it's definitely nicer than the bus bento that we had during the second visit.
Sakae Sushi
The bus set... all of us found the noodle (udon??) mixed with some salad sauce and some fish roe rather tasteless. This set lacks the oomph of the first set.
Sakae Sushi
The chicken and mushroom in teriyaki sauce with a few endamame sprinkled on top. It's okay enough. Sakae Sushi, despite it's Japanese sounding and cute frog mascot is actually a Singaporean franchise... but frankly speaking how many truly authentic Japanese restaurants does one expect to find in this part of Malaysia. It'd cost a bomb to get a real Japanese chef! First world coming to third world to cook!
Sakae Sushi
There's a curry that comes with this. And it smells like real Indian curry to me. Scallop is nice enough. Fried chicken tastes just like fried chicken. Can't go very wrong unless you leave them frying in the oil for too long. Bento sets come with a bowl of steamed Japanese rice... but friend who has been to Japan said the rice she had there seemed nicer...
Sakae Sushi
I think this is their Niko Niko Gozen set.... can't quite remember their names. I didn't realize that I had to cook my own duck meat in a slab of butter over the small little stove. The meat is tender enough even though I left it on the stove quite long. But still, duck meat is not something that I like where Japanese food is concerned. The tempura is quite ordinary though. Their bento sets come with potato salad with bits of vegetables in it. Makes it lighter on the stomach in a way.
Sakae Sushi
My personal favourite is the Sakura Bento - came with cod, octopus, duck, tofu, chawanmushi or egg custard. I like their chawanmushi; smooth and soothing to taste. The tofu with the roe and salad sauce was quite nice too.

But their teppanyaki menu is not available. The menu has this plastered on it... 'Temporarily Not Available' but I wonder how long it's been unavailable or it's not meant to be available at this joint. Anyway, we've been to their Sakae Teppanyaki at Auto City. I think Sakae Sushi seems to offer a better fare in terms of taste compared to Sushi King...

8 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

one great place for japanese food is equatorial bangi. It's only on sundays (lunch starting 12noon). It's buffet....the spread is real wide...u wouldn't know when to stop.

AJ7 said...

Got oysters onot??

Dino said...

Amelia, have you tried smoked oysters before or not?

AJ7 said...

Nope... Dino, you must remember that being where I am means I kinda have limited choices where oysters are concerned. If I ever want to try smoked oysters, I must first source fresh oysters.... I've just found out that there is an oyster farm in Penang... *gleeful* Smoked food is not very readily available here too 8(

And I probably have to smoke it myself too... But if I ever am able to get my hands on fresh oysters... maybe I'll try doing it. 8)

Dino said...

Msia very advance these days, i am surprised what you all can find back home these days. Ok...its good to know that its a rare item, at least i know what "buah tangan" to bring home next time.

Sia Mooi said...

plentiful....we targetted dat oni.

R.Isabel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R.Isabel said...

Amelia,

Can you please tell me where the oyster farm is in Penang? I heard about it but can't seem to find info on it!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...