Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Veiled Kingdom... by Carmen bin Laden

Thomas.... if you are reading this, I finally finished this book. Will be returning both books to you soon! 8) Thanks!!!!

Books that are real, as in paper form, I try to finish it ASAP which I did for this one. Else I would start and it would be forgotten cos I'd keep forgetting to bring it with me. Had a lot of time to kill. So, I read... and this is about another woman's life story in the Middle East, in Saudi Arabia. I recently read Sold by Zana Muhsen.

Saudi Arabia practices Wahabism, a strict and puritanical kind of Islam. When Carmen, who is half Persian and half Swede married a Bin Laden (as in Osama bin Laden's half brother); her life was seemingly set since theirs was a tale in the lap of luxury. She moved to Saudi Arabia, a country where women did and still do not have their own identity. But she was filled with hope that things would change. The story is like the rest the books of this type.... women in the Middle East equals to objects to be owned. They are sex objects and breeding machines.

Makes me realize one thing though. The men, they know they own their women once the children come. The motherly instinct will see to it that women will forgo themselves for their kids. So, for many of these 'faceless' women, their salvation lies in producing sons... Arab culture which places in sons is very similar to the Chinese too, as in many Asian cultures. Conclusion, sons were more cherished in days of old cos they had the strength... women basically quite helpless. And it still feels like that in such countries.

A few thoughts cross my mind as always when I read such books. It is said that out of respect the women, that's why they have to don the abaya, hejab, chador, veil... basically become faceless. To wear those outfits which remove the identity of the wearer is supposed to imply respect. The women are veiled into anonymity... What they say, who they are.... they mean nothing! And they do it in the name of religion.... Isn't that rather selfish? Whatever happened to freedom of choice? What if the positions are reversed? Men be veiled instead, wear that cumbersome and heat retaining outfits? Would be nice to read a book about repression by women of the men. But I think that would be really, really hard to find.

14 in the bag.... and I did 3 books in 7 days. That's almost a record for me! This one I did in on Monday morning in between this and that. 8) Took a short break from books that afternoon and when I was at the gym, entertained myself with podcasts... listened to this interesting one from this precocious 12 year old girl.... more than once she made me smile at myself. 8)

3 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, u r a bookworm. U do not need "Kempen membaca" and that note book sold to the pupils where they have to record and write a gist of what they read. ( I got a smart student who copied the gists from the jackets of the books. LOL) And the one who reads most gets a prize. Err... MOE calls is it...I have forgotten. If u love 2 read u simply loves 2 read and there is no need 2 any campaign. Books being books. The moment you open them, they love you. My "travels" in my schools days were all from books, at my study table and with a "pelita ayam." ( an oil lamp) . Princes, castles, grasslands, mountains, knights, dragons, etc etc came alive to me when I opened my books. Read on.......

AJ7 said...

Projek Nilam... that's what the campaign is called. And thank you. And yes! My students do that too. I don't bother taking my classes to the library for that. Sheer waste of time cos they'd sit around with a book in front of them but don't read.

I take that as a compliment... this bookworm title.. LOL! It's nice to read... some kelainan for a change.

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, "Book worm" is a compliment....n remember that .. there is a great deal of difference between the eager person who wants to read a book and a tired one who wants a book to read. By gosh, some people read to fall sleep !!! Reading is not a substitute for sleeping pills. It is an exercise for the mind.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...