Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gadget bytes... Palm, Pocket PCs, Ipod

We got our first PDA in the late 90s. It was a Palm Vx; Other Half has a penchant for techie stuff. I used to just tag along but over the years I caught the bug as well. With 8MB of memory, it was a sleek gadget back then and I remember borrowing it to take to school to read the first of the Harry Potter's series; The Philosopher's Stone. It was a real cool piece of gadget.

Our affair with the PDA took flight after that. A Palm m505 followed 2 years (I think) later, with double the memory. We were hooked, with the makings of PDA diehards.

Other Half was really faithful to Palm. The m505 was followed by a Palm Tungsten T5. And it's still in working order... more than 5 years later! The leather casing is kinda worn out now but the machine is still good for a game of Cubis! 8)

In between all those Palm PDAs, I switched over to the dark side, opting for a HP Jornada which ran on Pocket PC. The colour was fantastic but it was not as 'user-friendly' as the Palm. And it would hang every now and then. I had to press the reset button quite often. The OS was actually quite cumbersome.
Tungsten T5 & Sony Clie NX
I dumped it for a Sony Clie NX Series later which operated on the Palm OS. My gal still kept the Clie after all these years. It finally went dead last year. The Clie's screen was a luxury... 8) These 2 gadgets look kinda sleek here, huh? I just threw my HP Jornada in my last major cleanup during the hols. Else it would have made a good trio.

The Clie was good for multimedia stuff but somehow I got swayed again and return to the Dark Side.
Ipod,Dell Axim
Went for a Dell Axim because it had the apps that I wanted. I got 2 units of it, a Dell Axim x50 and a X51 after I gave the former to my Son.... kononnya for him to use it as a mobile notebook; which never happened. Both my Ipod and Axim side by side... The Axim is at least twice the thickness of the Touch. Both have touch screens but Ipod Touch wins hands down...

So, after all those gadget bites, we're (me, mainly) now into Apple products... the Ipod Touch. Other Half, Son and I have an Ipod Touch each. 8) Daughter is eyeing to own one, but she is still too young!
Tungsten, Clie, Ipod Touch
We were just comparing the PDAs. Next to the Touch, they looked kinda bulky!.... A whole new meaning for sleek comes around! Screen wise, the Touch is awesome. But I guess in a couple of years, if I'm still into all these stuff, the screen would probably get a little more awesome... that's how technology is - always going forward.

And the Touch has brought PDA experience to a new level. It's a very intuitive and easy to use. Even a person who is not very computer literate would find it quite easy to handle. The Touch screen made that possible. If it's anything that Apple has revolutionized in computing, it's probably this. I sometimes troubleshoot for the older people.... even the buttons to switch on the device is awesome. One press and the screen comes on. Mobile phones don't make it this easy too!

Writing this post made me realize too that, the gadgets to me served me well especially in reading... somehow I kinda forgot that to be able to read was always the main consideration. The Ipod has made it more comfortable and easy too. An occasional games and other stuff made it more worthwhile. After all, how can I forget apps like Avantgo which kept me well-fed me with news and articles?

So there! Our journey into the world of PDAs... and a small fortune later....

7 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

ahem! this luddite's message is sent by smoke signal today.....
:D

AJ7 said...

The luddite message has been received and now being processed.... smoke signals take longer time to decipher.... LOL! Luddites after all wanted a return to the old ways, slow and steady!

monay said...

I really don't know what you are talking about.... never, ever held any of those gadgets. Shop at Amazon for books but you wont catch me with a Kindle. However, I do so like picture books (which I have recommendations from books about books ie books children love, honey for a child's heart etc..)and faithfully go to the library once a week. Have to lug the books out with a box... :)

AJ7 said...

Monay... the luddite message or the gadget talk? LOL!

Dino said...

Ipod Touch all the way!!!!

PreciousPearl said...

hallo my darling, message sent by tomtoms this evening - I have awarded you a Brightside Award! but this means you got to do a meme...... :D

AJ7 said...

Aiyo.. a meme; tough one some more. Must crack my head.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...