Monday, April 26, 2010

House Rules... by Jodi Picoult

No 17. And I am extending my target to 25 from 20 this year.

Another repeat author. The other book by the same author I read was Keeping Faith. This is a mystery novel with an Asperger's Syndromme twist, and that's what kept me glued. The plot of the novel is actually quite thin with an ending that is quite an anti-climax. The mystery was solved way before you get to the end. But the Asperger's description was very educational.

The character of Jacob, the just turned 18 character with Asperger's Syndromme was the reason for my continued interest. It's well researched though he seems to display many of its traits to extremities. But then again, if it's not the book would not have the drama intended.

In a nutshell, Emma (his mom) is a single mom who takes care of him and bro, Theo who is 3 years younger and normal. Father bolted after his diagnosis. Why is it that in the novels, men are the ones who usually bolt and the women the ones who seem to be the one sacrificing? Then the 'murder' of Jess Ogilvy, his tutor for social skills and the courtroom drama that follows.

I minored in Special Education for my Diploma in Education, because I was inspired by Kamal, a blind post-grad student whom I used to read to and bring around to do his research during my undergrad days. So in my Dip Ed, all my non-compulsory slots were taken up by Special Ed papers... from both end of the spectrum; from gifted to special needs. It meant a heavier work load but I signed up anyway cos I had a friend who did the same..... peer 'pressure'. LOL! But it was a very good experience. My world got a little bigger and in the process I became a little smaller.

From there my lecturers exposed us to the various special needs children... kinda explains why I like the book. Back in those days, Asperger's Syndromme was non existence. Autism was. I remember visiting a centre for such special needs kids and somehow, this image of a teenage boy sitting under the table and rocking himself non-stop the whole time I was there got stuck in my mind. Even now, that's the thing I remember first of that particular visit. He was autistic. Even then, we learned autistic people experience sensory overload.... bright colours, loud noises affect them in a way that overwhelms them. My coursemate who did a case study (we had to do a case study each) on autism told of tales of really cute children who seemed so adorable yet distant... physically there but not really there!

Asperger's Syndromme is actually a diagnosis for high functioning autism. And some are brilliant. When Rain Man hit the cinemas, the term used for brilliant autistic people was idiot savant... they are brilliant in a field but a total 'social failure' in our world. And more boys are afflicted with this than girls... Asperger's on the other end of the spectrum and within it exists another spectrum.

But I think they are many Aspies among us, the high functioning ones who can fit into the society but with some awkwardness. Silicon Valley probably has more Aspies... diagnosed and undiagnosed than other places. Their brilliance... you've got to have certain traits to be a geek...

I find the many descriptions very familiar sometimes too.... of Jacob lining up his toy cars in straight lines on the floor, of him taking things literally... in one scene, the lawyer asked him what he understood by waiving his rights... he took up his hand and started waving it like a metronome... literal understanding. Yet when asked about rights he could recite word for word... how many of us have kids who exhibit some of these behaviours. There are kids who don't seem able to pick up the subtleties in a situation. There are also kids who just cannot seem to comprehend that... no matter how many ways you try to put it to them. I think for me as a parent and teacher, to be able to indentify kids with such traits might go some way in dealing with them.

As for my case study for my Special Ed, I opted for a spastic girl. She also was afflicted with hydrocephaly, a condition where the fluids build up in the brain area and compresses it. It was quite an experience for me to listen to her pump kicked in to drain the fluids from her brain to her stomach. The whirring sound from her ear was very unsettling the first time. I spent many hours with her both at the Centre and home. I continued going to see her even after I was done with my report. I've one thing to say about those teachers who work at such centres, it takes a lot of compassion and love. You've got to love the kids and have loads and loads of patience.

My case study was 7 then. Sharinna was her name and I still think of her sometimes, wondering whether she is still around. Kids with her condition are not expected to live long. Too many things can go wrong. I never did go into special ed.... didn't think I could do it cos it was just too heartbreaking often times.... House Rules, it's an educational read but do it with some pinches of salt. 8)

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...