Thursday, April 29, 2010

Another Cuti Lembaga....

Today is another Cuti Lembaga.... a day off for my school when other schools were still on. 8) I spent a short time at the gym and did some errands in the morning. Then I went home and slept. Am tired out by the activities of the week and also trying to pull Son away from the computer; his digital world. Trying to pull a kid (he says he's an adult) at that stage from a computer is energy sapping.... 8( The day's highlight was probably this... taking my girl for her swim at the Club. Had a nice time with friend by the pool catching up and watching everyone else. 8)

Been only to school one day this week. Was away for meetings and debate competition. And I missed my school's Speech Day too. 8) A break away from school is always nice... though there might be some overzealous bosses who will go to great lengths to make us feel bad...

It's nice to meet up with teachers from other schools; teachers who share familiarity of sorts. English teachers are usually very noisy (and loud). In a group, sometimes it be quite hillarious! Come to think of it, when I was in uni, the Lit people were usually the loudest at the Dataran where we hung out in between classes.

It's at such times that we compare notes... school stories and tales of 'bitches' and 'witches' which sometimes will leave you in stitches. But it helps us de-stress a bit. So what did I learn? Most schools are on a 'uniform' frenzy.... tis the time of the year when Speech Days are on. Schools are trying to look uniformed! And all kinds of amounts have to be forked out by the teachers... the highest I heard was RM350!!! That in spite and despite the fact that there is nothing in our General Order that says we have to wear uniforms. We are in the crazy business of 'monkey see, monkey do'. Then there are also tales of horrors. There are bosses who feel they own their teachers' lives. Teachers must do their bidding or life becomes miserable at school... that's supposed to strike fear in us! Over the years, I personally feel that the bosses' professionalism are on the downhill...

And I realized this too... I notice that where I am, there seems very few (or perhaps none) HMs who are English optionist even though there are more HMs with Social Sciences background. Guess the Science people are too 'kayu' to make a successful climb up. No oratory skills to help them kelentong. And also maybe one reason also why schools are getting so many frills every where now... the feminization and 'artistic' bent. I think there is a difference.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

'Bitches, witches, stitches' - what next!! In that environment, I think I'll mati!!! But I wasn't a teacher, so please 'execute' me - Ha! ha!
Downslide is no good, lah! Everyone should aim UP!

AJ7 said...

That's just a hint of the different kinds of environments that teachers operate under now... LOL! There are still good bosses but they seem a rarer breed now. We seem to have undergone a paradigm shift and I can't say it's all for the better.... *sigh*

When I was growing up, we were taught that to be a leader means to serve... I think these days it doesn't quite mean that any more....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...