Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gadget bytes.... Canon MF4350d

...my old printer, a Canon MF5750's aging rollers finally gave way. It's in the shop now, to see whether it's too expensive to repair. That old printer has been such a good workhorse. For the last 5+ years, it has churned out thousands of printed copies; all those years when I was teaching the 4 kids, it served me extremely well. I had my work cut out with its help. 8)
Canon MF4350
So we got another replacement for it last Wednesday.. a Canon MF4350d. Makes me sound like a Canon printer diehard, huh? But I'm not.

Was rather pleased with its size when I took it out from the box. It's smaller than the MF5750. I'm all for smaller size. 8) But I've one grouse with Canon for not putting the Mac driver into the CD installer. Mac users have to go in search for their driver in the net. I located one, downloaded it... and geram! Cannot print! Did some more searching... installing... searching. Turned out there were some teething problems with the software. But finally, we managed to get it going. Getting it to print on the PCs at home was no problem.

Fiddled with the duplex printing. This is our first unit of any printer with this function. And I must say I love it, especially for printing books from the site Reading A-Z that I'm subscribed to. What used to take more than 5 mins now takes 1 minute! That's automation for you! *Yay!* With the right tools, so much time can be saved... and there are so many interesting books I can print!

But where Mac is concerned, I think the brand that is most friendly to it is Samsung. I've an old Samsung ML1740 that I brought from home to work... even with my OS upgrade to Snow Leopard, I had no problem printing! It's the same with our Samsung CLP310; just plug and play. Very painless. Samsung and Mac seem to get along very well.

We've another HP Laserjet 1022 too. When I upgraded my MacBook to Leopard, the printer went on strike. No support for this particular model! That was months ago. Since then, I've not read up to see whether there has been any changes. But I'm not going to miss using that printer now that I've my Canon.

I'm quite happy with this latest kuda ....and got it at an unbeatable price some more! Sounds like another freakishly gadget crazy post..... LOL!

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...