Saturday, March 20, 2010

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

I finished this within quite a short time; a result of too many waiting instances from yesterday's post.... been doing that a lot these last few days. Had another long waiting session at one of the schools while Daughter took part in her first ever competition (there were so many students from all over).... some 'writing' competition. Many parents were milling around, waiting for their kids. I wanted to go sit in the mee shop; have a cuppa and read. Finally, out of kiasuness to the other parents, I joined their milling around and went to look for a class with a fan and sat riveted to my Ipod for more than an hour. And to think a year back, I thought reading was past me as I would always start a book but never got to finishing it cos I'd forget to bring it with me..

Keeping Faith.... this is one of those books which started off rather blandly for me but perked my interest as I went along. It centers around a little girl by the name of Faith who witnessed her father's infidelity break their family apart; it was the second time he did it to his wife. I'd rate the father as useless two-timer but it didn't mean he didn't love his kid. Having been traumatized by that, she started to confide with her imaginary guard. Turns out, she started reciting Bible verses which she had never been schooled in. God became a friend. And her friend was a She. Stigmata, miracles; these were some of the things which happen to and through her...

Like any parent, Mariah got worried and started consulting some psychiatrists. The little girl literally brought her grandma to life after being declared clinically dead. She drew attention from all kinds of people; news people, religious zealots, people seeking hope, the sick. Their house became a gathering of sorts. Then the father decided to seek custody and a hearing ensued.... more twists and turns after that.

I was done with my waiting duties by Friday afternoon but was too kan-cheong to know the ending. So I read at home... last half an hour of the book. 8)

Anyway, the journey of Faith can also be taken to represent the way we look at faith in our own lives... when all avenues seem exhausted one is left with one choice - to take that leap of faith. But I didn't quite enjoy the courtroom drama part; the hearing to determine who gets custody of Faith. It was too long and draggy but because it was pivotal to the story, had to plough through it.

The novel has quite a fascinating plot. I like the way the author weave the drama and the subtle comparisons to our lives. Keeping faith... that's what many of us need to do at many points of our lives. Keeping faith... not just only to our faiths but to what we hold dear. Nice one; my 9th and also 9th author for the year. Been doing books from different authors so far. Now back to my other 2 non digital books which seem to take forever to complete....

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...