Monday, March 15, 2010

Holidays...

As long as I am still stuck in the schools, I'd continue to clap my two hands with glee each time the term break comes. Mid first term break 2010... and no extra classes. Yooohoooo!!!!! Need to apply brake so that we don't break. Brief respite! LOL! And sometimes it's not the students whom we need a break from but the craziness that comes with this madhouse institution called school.

Many schools are holding extra classes... we always seem to be holding extra classes. Thankfully mine has not started yet. Actually they tried but there weren't many takers; and we could say no mainly because we're still running around like headless chickens since our last head went into the cold storage in February. 8)

Hols should be just that... a break from school! I hear in many schools extra classes started as early as February. Siao! And in this extremely hot spell that we've been experiencing, I can tell you, it's hard to stay alert after 1 p.m. The people up there should try going in to teach at 2.30 p.m. and see what I mean. And some schools start their extra classes at 3.30 p.m. and ends an hour or so later. No showering facilities and canteen food which really sucks... kids and teachers are squeezed for every drop....
Photobucket
Anyway, it's still early in the hols... I am also holding 'extra' classes for my girl and co. Shoot me also! LOL! We did a session on trees yesterday... how the tree rings tell us about their surroundings during their lifetime (you can only squeeze those stories out of trees you kill.... I mean, chop down). Anyway, we learn about lean and wet years, even possible fires and attacks of insects on the tree from the rings. There's this site with a nice illustration about it here (the site has been down for a couple of days but I managed to save the flash animation in my cache). We learn about how trees help to prevent global warming.... there's this silly cartoon from You Tube which my gal seems to think is real funny. Also of cows, flatulence and global warming... anyway here's an interesting page all about flatulence (it's known by it's other name, there... not too polite term, if I may add...LOL!)

While we were at it, we learned about the different parts of the trees.... and I found this book About Trees from Reading A-Z which I printed for them... and that was my version of an English lesson!

Nah! They won't be doing stuffs like that at school.... I told them to put a leaf in the freezer and see whether it freezes up... see it'll turn hard. Nope! The leaf became real soft and even though it remained green, the 'juice' that you squeeze from it is brown in colour.
Dee Dee
The hols is still young. George and Linda returned to China too yesterday. Had lunch with them before they left.
Dee Dee Alor Setar
Been going round town for makan sessions these last few days... There'll be visits the gym and pool for sure in the coming days. Son is away again... for SU Kedah Camp this time... Meanwhile, maybe there'll be some time squeezed in for shopping... Yup! Shopping! There are stuffs which I am in dire need of. 8) A week of respite.... the weather is cooling off a bit too these last couple of days, with the evening showers.

One week would come to an end rather quickly I should think... 8( Days always fly when you are doing stuff you like.... busy in a happy way!

4 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

happy holiday!

AJ7 said...

terima kasih.... 8)

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, Make hay while the sun shines. Lengthen your day, wake up earlier. Have a check list n u will always know that u have not wasted your holiday. As 4 us, we r heading for 10 days in Taiwan 4 the ist time. He he he.

AJ7 said...

Have fun. Both of you have really sprouted wings! LOL! It's good to see that. Sometimes we forget that there are different phases in our lives for us to enjoy different things... good to see that both of you are grabbing the opportunity to do your fun things.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...